Configuration settings control how and when various Forums operations take place. You can edit the settings to change the ways that forums behave.
Before you begin
To edit configuration files, you must use the IBM
® Application Server wsadmin client. See Starting the wsadmin client
for information about how to start the wsadmin command-line tool.
About this task
Configure Forums using scripts accessed with the wsadmin client. These scripts use the AdminConfig object available in the WebSphere
Application Server wsadmin client to interact with the Forums configuration file. Changes to Forums configuration settings require node synchronization and a restart of the Forums server before they take effect.
To change Forums configuration settings, complete the following steps.
- Start the wsadmin client from the following directory of the system on which you installed the Deployment Manager:
is the WebSphere
Application Server installation directory and <dm_profile_root>
is the Deployment Manager profile directory, typically dmgr01.
You must start the client from this directory or subsequent commands that you enter do not execute correctly.
- Start the Forums Jython script interpreter.
- Use the following command to access the Forums configuration files:
If prompted to specify a service to connect to, type 1 to pick the first node in the list. Most commands can run on any node. If the command writes or reads information to or from a file using a local file path, you must pick the node where the file is stored.
- Check out the Forums configuration files using the following command:
- <working_directory> is the temporary working directory to which the configuration XML and XSD files are copied. The files are kept in this working directory while you make changes to them.
Note: AIX and Linux only: The directory must grant write permissions or the command will not run successfully.
- <cell_name> is the name of the WebSphere Application Server cell hosting the IBM Connections application. This argument is required. It is also case-sensitive, so type it with care. If you do not know the cell name, you can determine it by typing the following command in the wsadmin command processor:
- Optional: To view a list of the valid Forums configuration settings and their current values, use the following command:
- To change a Forums configuration setting, use the following command:
is one of the editable Forums configuration properties and <value>
is the new value with which you want to set that property. See Forums configuration properties
for a complete list of editable properties.
- Optional: After updating the Forums properties with new values, use the ForumsConfigService.showConfig() command to display the list of properties and their updated values. These are the values that will be checked in with the ForumsConfigService.checkInConfig() command.
- Optional: Repeat step 3 for each property setting that you want to change.
What to do next
You must check the configuration files back in after making changes, and they must be checked in during the same wsadmin session in which they were checked out for the changes to take effect. See Applying property changes
Forums configuration propertiesParent topic: Administering Forums
Configuration settings control various configurable applications within Forums and also help in the optimization of server performance. They require a Forums application or server restart to take effect.
Applying property changes in Forums
After you have edited the Forums configuration properties, check the changed configuration file in, and restart the servers to apply the changes.