Customizing settings for the search type-aheadAdded by IBM | Edited by IBM on March 15, 2012 | Version 4 (Show original)
|You can configure tuning parameters to adjust the behavior of the type-ahead tool that is used for Profiles search on the Directory page.
You can configure tuning parameters to adjust the behavior of the type-ahead tool that is used for Profiles search on the Directory page.
Before you begin
To edit configuration files, you must use the wsadmin client. See Starting the wsadmin client
for information about how to start the wsadmin command-line tool.
About this task
The type-ahead tool that is used for Profiles search makes it easier for users to find people by suggesting names from the company directory as they type in the search field. You can configure settings in the profiles-config.xml
file to adjust the performance of the type-ahead tool.
To configure tuning parameters for the search type-ahead in Profiles, complete the following steps.
Parent topic: Customizing Profiles
- Start the wsadmin client from the following directory of the system on which you installed the Deployment Manager:
is the WebSphere
® Application Server installation directory and <dm_profile_root>
is the Deployment Manager profile directory, typically dmgr01.
You must start the client from this directory or subsequent commands that you enter do not execute correctly.
- Start the Profiles Jython script interpreter.
- Enter the following command to access the Profiles configuration files:
If prompted to specify a service to connect to, type 1 to pick the first node in the list. Most commands can run on any node. If the command writes or reads information to or from a file using a local file path, you must pick the node where the file is stored.
- Enter the following command to check out the Profiles configuration files:
- <working_directory> is the temporary working directory to which the configuration XML and XSD files are copied and are stored while you make changes to them. Use forward slashes (/) to separate directories in the file path, even if you are using the Microsoft Windows operating system.
Note: AIX and Linux only: The directory must grant write permissions or the command does not complete successfully.
- <cell_name> is the name of the WebSphere Application Server cell hosting the Profiles application. This argument is required. It is also case-sensitive, so type it with care. If you do not know the cell name, you can determine it by typing the following command in the wsadmin command processor: print AdminControl.getCell()
- AIX or Linux:
- Microsoft Windows:
- Navigate to the temporary working directory that you specified in the previous step, and then open the profiles-config.xml file in a text editor.
- Locate the <properties> element, and then add the following <property> elements to it, if they are not already present, or edit the values of the properties as required, if they are present.
Table 1. Type-ahead properties
|com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.ptas.fireOnKeys||Specifies the number of keys that must be pressed before the search request is submitted.|
|com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.ptas.delayBetweenKeys||Specifies the delay in milliseconds after the last key is pressed before the search request is submitted.|
|com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.ptas.maxResults||Specifies the number of search results to display.|
|com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.ptas.liveNameSupport||Specifies whether to attach a Profiles business card to each name. This property can be set to true or false.|
|com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.ptas.expandThumbnails||Specifies whether to expand the profile picture provided in the search results. This property can be set to true or false. Note that when users mouse over a profile picture, there is a delay before the picture is expanded.|
|com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.ptas.blankOnEmpty||Specifies whether the search results remain on display if the contents of the search field are deleted. This property can be set to true or false. When set to true, the search results are removed.|
The following code provides an example of the settings for the type-ahead feature:
<!-- directory page: people type-ahead search (ptas) -->
<property name="com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.ptas.fireOnKeys" value="1" />
<property name="com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.ptas.delayBetweenKeys" value="0" />
<property name="com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.ptas.maxResults" value="10" />
<property name="com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.ptas.liveNameSupport" value="true" />
<property name="com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.ptas.expandThumbnails" value="true" />
<property name="com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.ptas.blankOnEmpty" value="true" />
- After making changes, you must check the configuration files back in, and you must do so during the same wsadmin session in which you checked them out for the changes to take effect. See Applying property changes in Profiles for information about how to save and apply your changes.