Making a custom theme available to your usersAdded by IBM | Edited by IBM on December 14, 2012 | Version 7 (Show original)
|You can create custom themes and make them available to your blog users. Customizing themes requires experience editing HTML and CSS files.
About this task
Follow these steps to make a custom theme available to your users from the Blogs theme field on the Create Blog form.
To define a theme, complete the following steps.
Parent topic: Customizing a blog theme
- Create a copy of the existing default theme.
For example, to create a new corporate theme:
Copy the blog theme directory from <WAS HOME>/profiles/<AppSrv Name>/installedApps/<Cell Name>/Blogs.ear/blogs.war/themes/blog/ to the following directory: <customization_dir>/blogs/themes/corporateBlogTheme/
The <customization_dir> folder is the default directory in which customized files are stored. This location is defined during installation, and is saved as a WebSphere® Application Server variable named CONNECTIONS_CUSTOMIZATION_PATH. By default, the variable is set to <Connections_installdir> \data\shared\customization.
- Modify or add template files to create the desired look, layout, and content for your theme.
- Create an image to display as a preview thumbnail so that users can see what the theme looks like from the Create Blog form. The naming convention is sm-theme-blog_directory_name.png.
For example, the preview image for the default blog theme is named sm-theme-blog.png.
- Edit the Blogs string resource file com.ibm.lconn.blogs.strings.ui_xx.properties and add a new string for the name of your new theme, as follows:
- Copy the resource file ui.properties from <WAS HOME>/installedApps/<Cell Name>/Blogs.ear/blogs.war/WEB-INF/classes/com/ibm/lconn/blogs/strings into <customization_dir>/strings/com/ibm/lconn/blogs/strings. If the directory does not already exist, create it now.
- Locate the #themes section of the file and enter the theme directory name in the format ventura.theme.yourThemeDirectoryName. For example, ventura.theme.MyTheme=My Theme.
Note: Adding the new theme directory name to the ui.properties file makes the new theme work in English. For international support, edit the ui_<language>.properties file, where <language> is the ISO country code associated with the language in which you want to specify the custom label. For example, to support Chinese, you should also edit the ui_zh.properties file.
- Copy the default style sheet, defaulttheme.css from its location in <WAS HOME>/profiles/<AppSrv Name>/installedApps/<Cell Name>/Blogs.ear\blogs.war\roller-ui\styles. Make any changes you want to the theme, then save it to the same directory with the name of your new theme: <myNewThemeName>.css.