Before you begin
To edit configuration files, you must use the IBM WebSphere
® Application Server wsadmin client. See Starting the wsadmin client
About this task
To ensure that the information received by the News repository is analyzed correctly, you need to synchronize data between the other IBM
Connections applications and the News repository to ensure that the information in the repository is kept up-to-date. The interval at which data is synchronized is specified using the frequencyInHours setting. By default, the synchronization is set to take place every 24 hours. The frequencyInHours setting is only used to synchronize user network information with Profiles. There is no synchronization with other IBM
Connections applications other than the user network list in Profiles.
To configure the data synchronization task, complete the following steps.
Parent topic: Administering the News repository
Applying property changes in the News repository
Accessing the News configuration file
- Start the wsadmin client from the following directory of the system on which you installed the Deployment Manager:
is the WebSphere
Application Server installation directory and <dm_profile_root>
is the Deployment Manager profile directory, typically dmgr01.
You must start the client from this directory or subsequent commands that you enter do not execute correctly.
- Start the News Jython script interpreter.
- Use the following command to access the News configuration file:
If prompted to specify a service to connect to, type 1 to pick the first node in the list. Most commands can run on any node. If the command writes or reads information to or from a file using a local file path, you must pick the node where the file is stored.
- Check out the News cell-level configuration file using the following command:
- <working_dir> is the temporary directory to which you want to check out the cell-level configuration file. This directory must exist on the server where you are running wsadmin.
Note: AIX and Linux only: The directory must grant write permissions or the command will not run successfully.
- <cellName> is the name of the cell that the home page node belongs to. This argument is required. It is also case-sensitive, so type it with care. If you do not know the cell name, type the following command in the wsadmin command processor to determine it:
The command displays this message:
News Cell Level configuration file successfully checked out.
- Open news-config.xml in a text editor.
- Locate the section containing the dataSynchronization task and make the necessary changes.
For example, the following code specifies that data is synchronized between the News repository and the IBM
Connections applications every 24 hours. The information is copied over only if it hasn't been copied already in the last 24 hours.
- After making changes, you must check the configuration files back in, and you must do so during the same wsadmin session in which you checked them out for the changes to take effect. See Applying property changes in the News repository for information about how to save and apply your changes.