® Support Assistant is a tool designed to help answer questions and gather data for service personnel if needed. You can use the IBM
Support Assistant to perform federated searches across information repositories, access support-related web resources, and automate data collection to expedite problem resolution.
Before you begin
Using the IBM
Support Assistant workbench, you can only collect data from a system running the Microsoft
® operating systems. To collect data on a system running AIX
® or Linux
®, you must use IBM
Support Assistant lite. To access IBM
Support Assistant Lite, you must first install the IBM
Support Assistant workbench, and then export the lite client from it.
About this task
When you use the IBM
Support Assistant, it does the work of running traces, and collecting the files that IBM
Support needs to evaluate the problem and suggest a solution.
- Download and install IBM Support Assistant Workbench Version 4.1. You can download it from the following external website:
- Download the IBM Connections 3.0.1 add-on for the IBM Support Assistant by completing the following steps:
- From the IBM Support Assistant menu, select Update -> Find New -> Product Add-ons.
- Expand Lotus, select IBM Connections 3, and then click Next.
- Accept the license agreement, and then click Next.
- Click Finish.
You must restart the workbench before the IBM Connections add-on is available.
- Use the IBM Support Assistant to find information about the issue.
- If you determine that you need the help of IBM Support to resolve the problem, use the workbench to collect data from the system experiencing the problem. Follow the steps defined in the following topic to use the data collection tool.
Parent topic: Resolving a problem using IBM Support Assistant
- AIX or Linux: See Using the workbench to collect data on AIX and Linux.
- Microsoft Windows: See Using the workbench to collect data on Microsoft Windows.