Use the IBM
® Support Assistant workbench to collect data reported by IBM
Before you begin
Review the Troubleshooting checklist
to determine if the problem has already been encountered by someone else and whether there is a resolution or workaround available.
You must know which servers host which applications and the administrative user name and password for each of the IBM WebSphere
® Application Servers upon which the IBM
Connections applications are installed. If you do not know this information, find it out before running the tool.
About this task
You cannot collect data from an IBM AIX
® or Linux
® system using the IBM
Support Assistant workbench. Instead, you must use an application called IBM
Support Assistant lite. To get the lite client, you must export it from the workbench.
To export the ISA lite client and run it, complete the following steps:
- Start the IBM Support Assistant workbench.
- From the welcome page, click the Analyze Problem icon.
- Click the Collect Data tab.
- In the Remote Collection section, click using IBM Support Assistant Lite.
- From the Select a collector list, select IBM Connections 3.
- In the Target Directory for Exported Collector field, browse to the directory to which you want to store IBM Support Assistant Lite.
- Optional: You can rename the .zip file that gets created by adding the new file name to the Collector File Name field or accept the default name.
- Click Export.
- If the IBM Connections applications are hosted by a system or systems other than the current one, from the directory to which you exported it, copy the lite .zip file to the systems hosting the IBM Connections applications.
- From the system hosting the applications, extract the lite .zip file, which is named Collector-<date_value>.zip by default.
- Edit the permissions to the .sh files that you extracted. For example: chmod 777 *.sh
- Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable on the computer by entering the following command:
- Start IBM Support Assistant lite by entering the following command:
- Select the application for which you want to collect data from the following list:
Provide a path and a file name for the collection. Include the .zip file extension, and then click Collect Data.
- IBM Connections Activities Collection
- IBM Connections Authentication Collection
- IBM Connections Blog Collection
- IBM Connections Bookmarks Collection
- IBM Connections Communities Collection
- IBM Connections DB2® Collection
- IBM Connections Files Collection
- IBM Connections Forums Collection
- IBM Connections General Collection
- IBM Connections Homepage Collection
- IBM Connections IBM HTTP Server Collection
- IBM Connections Install Collection
- IBM Connections Mobile Collection
- IBM Connections News Collection
- IBM Connections Profiles Collection
- IBM Connections Search Collection
- IBM Connections Wikis Collection
You might be asked for information during the data collection process. For example, you might be asked for the name of the WebSphere Application Server that hosts an application or for the administrative user ID and password of the server. Provide the information requested. The data collector informs you when processing is completed.
Provide the collection of data to IBM Support. As you use the collector wizard, it gives you the option of sending the collected data to IBM Support over FTP. You can choose to send the data to IBM using FTP or provide it separately.
Parent topic: Using the IBM Support Assistant workbench