Filter the results that display on the Search Results page to find the information that is most useful to you. Your search term is highlighted in the returned results to make it easy for you to see whether it is being used in a relevant context.
About this task
The Search Results page displays when you perform any type of search in IBM
® Connections, except for the context-specific searches that are available in the different applications. When you select a context-specific search option, for example, the option to search My Communities
in the Communities application, the Search Results page for that application displays. When you perform any other type of search in IBM
Connections, the global Search Results page displays.
An icon next to each search result identifies which application the result is associated with.
Table 1. Application icons
The icon shown here represents just one file type. The icon next to a search result from the Files application changes depending on the type of file returned. For more information, see File type icons.
When you perform a search in IBM Connections, your query is analyzed to return the optimum results.
As part of the operation, the Search application performs a linguistic analysis to ensure that different word forms, such as plurals, verb endings, and grammatical tenses, are matched correctly in the search results. For example, when you search for the term goose, you might expect to get results that contain the term geese. Similarly, when you search for the term run, you might expect to get results that include the terms ran or running.
The more times your search term appears in a piece of content, the higher that content will be ranked in your search results. The number of times a piece of content has been bookmarked in Bookmarks also influences its ranking in your search results, as does the number of times a piece of content has been liked or recommended. If your search term appears in the content title or as a tag of the content, this does affect its search results ranking, but no more so than if it appeared in the content. It is the frequency with which a term appears that matters primarily.
The type of content that is searched varies from application to application. For example, content from file attachments is only searched in the Files and Wikis applications. For more information about what content is searched for each application, see Searchable content.
Parent topic: Searching across IBM Connections
Performing an advanced search
Searching across IBM Connections
Adding IBM Connections search to your browser
File type icons
- Review your search results on the Search Results page by doing any of the following actions:
- Click the title of one of the results to open it and review it in more detail.
- Use the options available from the left navigation bar to display the results returned by a specific application. The All Results option that displays all the results returned for your search is selected by default.
- Use the drop-down filters at the top of the page to further refine your search. The filters available vary depending on the option that you select from the left navigation bar.
- Use the Tags search control to search the results for specific tags or keywords. Click a tag to display any results that contain that tag. Select a related tag from the Related Tags area if you want to further refine your search.
- Use the Dates search control to display only those results that are associated with a specified year or month.
- View the people associated with the search results in the People area. Click a name to display the results associated with a specific person.