Before you begin
This is an optional configuration.
You must have the following software enabled to be able to add presence awareness to IBM
Complete the following procedures before attempting to enable awareness.
About this task
When you enable presence awareness using the Sametime
Proxy server, a person's online status is indicated by a set of icons and an associated status message that is available from the person's profile and business card. Presence awareness tells you whether the person is available to chat, busy in a meeting, or away from their computer. In addition to seeing a person's availability, you can carry on a chat with that person even when no Sametime
client is installed.
: If you have configured the product to send traffic over SSL, presence awareness can be retrieved over SSL. For more information about enabling SSL for Sametime
, refer to the documentation provided with the Sametime
SDK, which is available from the following web site: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/lotus/downloads/toolkits.html
After downloading the toolkit, the documentation can be found in the sdk/client/connectWebApi/doc/ConnectWebApiDevguide.pdf
Parent topic: Customizing the deployment
- Start the wsadmin client from the following directory of the system on which you installed the deployment manager:
You must start the client from this directory or subsequent commands that you try to run will not execute properly. See Starting the wsadmin client
for more details.
- Use the wsadmin client to access and check out the IBM Connections extension configuration files.
- Enter the following command to access the IBM Connections configuration file: execfile("connectionsConfig.py")
If prompted to specify a service to connect to, type 1 to pick the first node in the list. Most commands can run on any node. If the command writes or reads information to or from a file using a local file path, you must pick the node where the file is stored. This information is not used by the wsadmin client when you are making configuration changes.
- Enter the following command to check out the LotusConnections-config (LCC.xml) file:
- working_directory is the temporary working directory to which the configuration XML and XSD files are copied and are stored while you make changes to them. Use forward slashes to separate directories in the file path, even if you are using the Microsoft Windows operating system.
AIX and Linux only: The directory must grant write permissions or the command does not run successfully.
- cell_name is the name of the WebSphere® Application Server cell hosting the IBM Connections application. This argument is case-sensitive, so type it with care. If you do not know the cell name, type the following command while in the wsadmin command processor:print AdminControl.getCell()
- AIX or Linux:LCConfigService.checkOutConfig("/opt/temp","foo01Cell01")
- Microsoft Windows:LCConfigService.checkOutConfig("c:/temp","foo01Cell01")
- From the directory you specified as the working directory in the previous step, open the LotusConnections-config.xml file in a text editor, and then find the sametimeProxy service section:
<sloc:serviceReference enabled="false" isConnectClient="false" serviceName="sametimeProxy" ssl_enabled="false">
<sloc:static href="admin_replace" ssl_href="admin_replace"/>
- Specify the attributes according to the following example:
<sloc:serviceReference enabled="true" isConnectClient="true" serviceName="sametimeProxy" ssl_enabled="true"><sloc:href><sloc:hrefPathPrefix/>
<sloc:static href="http://sametimeProxyServer.enterprise.example.com" ssl_href="https://sametimeProxyServer.enterprise.example.com:9444"/>
- sloc:serviceReference enabled="true" displays the Sametime action bar in Connections and connects to Sametime via the specified Sametime Proxy server.
- ssl_enabled="true" connects to the Sametime proxy server on the secure port.
- isConnectClient="true" automatically connects to Sametime via the UIM client, rather than the Sametime Proxy server.
- If your Connections environment is configured to a reverse proxy but the Sametime server is not, add isExternal attribute to the configuration as shown in following example. This flag is set so that the Sametime proxy server URLs are not overwritten by the dynamic host URLs.
<sloc:serviceReference enabled="true" isConnectClient="true" serviceName="sametimeProxy" ssl_enabled="true"><sloc:href> <sloc:hrefPathPrefix/>
<sloc:static href="http://sametimeProxyServer.enterprise.example.com" ssl_href="https://sametimeProxyServer.enterprise.example.com:9444" isExternal="true"/>
- Save and close the LotusConnections-config.xml file.
- To check in the changed configuration files, use the following command:
- After making updates, type the following command to deploy the changes:
- To exit the wsadmin client, type exit at the prompt.
- Stop and restart all of the IBM Connections application servers.
- Confirm that this procedure worked by accessing one of the IBM Connections applications, and then opening a person's business card. It may take a few seconds for the person's presence information to display the first time. If you can start a chat with the person, then enabling awareness through the proxy server was successfully completed.