Adding a chart to a blank reportAdded by IBM on February 11, 2013 | Version 1 (Original)
|Add a data chart to a report’s layout.
About this task
The instructions that follow demonstrate the procedure for adding a chart to an empty report layout using Cognos
® Report Studio. Follow the steps in the example to create a trend chart within the existing report layout. Trends show patterns in data; for example by tracking totals over time or comparing totals for different categories. The trend chart created for this example report will show the total number of "create" events for all Connections applications for the years 2010, 2011, and 2012. The report will use three basic sets of data:
- The Measure is the quantity; the example report shows the total number of times an event occurred (EVENT_COUNT).
- The Dimensions are the qualifiers that describe what is being counted, for example the DATE when an event occurred.
The Categories are subsets of a dimension; for example the DATE dimension contains categories for the years 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- The Data Series is the measure being tracked; the example report will track "create events" (CREATE) across multiple years to show the overall trend (all "create" events across all Connections applications will be counted for each year).
For more information on the dimensions (Measures and Categories) available in the Metrics PowerCube, see PowerCube dimensions
. For more information on working with Cognos
Report Studio, see the Report Studio User Guide
Parent topic: Creating a report from a blank layout
- Create a blank report as described in Creating a blank report from the PowerCube model.
- Place a "line graph" style of chart in the report layout:
A line graph displays a point for each data item (the intersection between a measure and a category) and connects these data points with a line. Line graphs are useful for showing trends because it is easy to see how the line moves up or down (or not at all) over time.
- Click the Toolbox tab. tab.
- In the Toolbox window, select the Chart object and drag it to the design area. object and drag it to the design area.
- In the Insert Chart dialog box, select Line from the list of chart styles, select the Line with markers icon; then click OK.
- Select the Measure to display on the Y-axis:
In this example, the measure is EVENT_COUNT.
- Click the Sources tab. tab.
- In the packages list, expand the METRICS_TRX_CUBE datasource.
- In the Measures list, select EVENT_COUNT; drag it to the Default measure (y-axis) area of the chart.
- Select the Categories to display across the X-axis:
In this example, the categories are the years for which "create" events are being counted (the DATE): 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- Return to the METRICS_TRX_CUBE datasource and expand the DATE dimension.
- Expand Members -> DATE.
- Select 2010 and drag it to the Categories (x-axis) area of the chart.
- Select 2011 and drag it to the Categories (x-axis) area of the chart, placing it after 2010.
- Select 2012 and drag it to the Categories (x-axis) area of the chart, placing it after 2011.
- Select the data series:
In this example, the data series is the type of event being counted: the CREATE.
- Return to the METRICS_TRX_CUBE datasource and expand the EVENT dimension.
- Expand Members -> EVENT.
- Select CREATE and drag it to the Series area of the chart.
- Click Save to save the updated report.
- Click Run -> Run Report - HTML to test the report by viewing it in the Cognos Viewer; then close the viewer when ready to proceed.