Adding members with similar interests to your communityAdded by IBM on February 11, 2013 | Version 1 (Original)
|As a community owner, you can extend your community by adding new members. Adding people to a community automatically makes them members of the community. If you want to give people the option of choosing to become a member, consider inviting them to join your community instead.
About this task
You must be a community owner to add members to a community. Your administrator configures the total number of members and groups that can be added to a community.
To add new members to a community, complete the following steps.
- From the I’m an Owner view, select the community to which you want to add members.
- Click Members in the navigation pane.
- Click Add Members.
- To add regular community members, enter the names of the people that you want to add in the Members field. Type-ahead predicts the name that you are typing by comparing it to names in the directory that your administrator specified. If it proposes the name that you want, click to add it. If you do not see the name that you are looking for, click Person not listed? Use full search to search the company directory for the person.
- To add community owners, click the Down arrow next to Members and select Owners. Then, enter the names of the people that you want to add in the Owners field.
Note: Community owners have the ability to edit the community.
- To add groups to a community, select Groups in the Members drop-down list, and then enter the names of the groups that you want to add in the Members field. Type-ahead predicts the name that you are typing by comparing it to names in your organization's directory or contact list. If it proposes the name that you want, click to add it. Alternatively, you can search for a particular group by clicking Browse Groups, and then entering a keyword for the group and clicking the Find Groups icon . Click the group you want and then click Add. If the group contains nested groups within it, you can either add the parent group or select a nested group. Use the breadcrumb trail to switch between levels of nested groups.
You cannot add groups as owners to communities.
Note: The group feature is available upon request. Contact your administrator for information.
If the community has reached the maximum number of members and groups that can be added, consider asking your administrator to increase the limit.
The new members receive an email notification informing them that they have been added to the community. Email notifications are not sent to groups.
Parent topic: How do I add community members?
Inviting people to join a community
Importing multiple members into a community to save time
Accepting membership requests