Before you begin
After you have set up your IBM Lotus
® or Microsoft
™ Exchange server to receive replies, you need to configure the IBM® WebSphere® Application Server mail session parameter to connect to the mailbox dedicated to storing email notification replies. If your environment requires authentication to connect to the mailbox containing the replies, you must use IBM WebSphere
Application Server with FixPack 17 or later.
About this task
The steps in this topic are required to configure Forums so that users can reply to forum topics by email. When a reply is added to a forum topic, an email is sent to followers of that forum and that topic. Users receiving that email can respond by email. The content of that response is added as a new reply in the forum, after the original.
A mail server uses a rule or trigger to direct reply emails to a mailbox dedicated for this purpose. The IBM
Connections server uses a WebSphere
Application Server mail session to process this mailbox periodically, adding content to the forums. This topic documents how to create the mail session.
The ReplyTo mailbox should be different from a Connections user's regular mailbox. It is better to have a mailbox set aside just to handle ReplyTo replies to avoid the risk of having notifications sent to that user being read back in as ReplyTo replies.
Parent topic: Configuring Forums for email notification replies
Previous topic: Configuring Exchange for notification replies
Next topic: Enabling notification replies
- Open the IBM WebSphere Administrative Console.
- Navigate to Resources -> Mail -> Mail Sessions.
- Select a scope, and then create a new mail session with the following properties:
- In the Name field type: lcreplyto
- In the JNDI name field type: mail/replyto
- In the Incoming Mail Properties section set the following properties:
- In the Server field, type the name of the mail server where the MailIn mailbox is located.
- In the Protocol field, type the name of the protocol the server will use. You must use either IMAP or IMAPS.
- In the User field, type the name of a user with access to the mailbox.
- In the Password field, type the password the user from Step c.