|Edit settings to specify whether the persisted pages in a seedlist persistence directory are deleted after a successful incremental index. You can also update the maximum age for persisted pages.
Before you begin
To edit configuration files, you must use the IBM
® Application Server wsadmin client. See Starting the wsadmin client
About this task
By default, the pages saved in a seedlist persistence directory are deleted after a successful incremental index. To speed up the indexing process when you have a large data set, you can also configure seedlist persistence settings so that pages over a specified age are not included when building an index or resuming a crawl.
To configure page persistence settings, complete the following steps.
Parent topic: Managing the Search application
The indexing process
Deleting persisted seedlist data
Creating a background index
Search error messages
- Start the wsadmin client from the following directory of the system on which you installed the Deployment Manager:
is the WebSphere
Application Server installation directory and dm_profile_root
is the Deployment Manager profile directory, typically dmgr01.
You must start the client from this directory or subsequent commands that you enter do not execute correctly.
- After the wsadmin command environment has initialized, enter the following command to initialize the Search environment and start the Search script interpreter:
If prompted to specify a service to connect to, type 1 to pick the first node in the list. Most commands can run on any node. If the command writes or reads information to or from a file using a local file path, you must pick the node where the file is stored.
When the command is run successfully, the following message displays:
Search Administration initialized
- Check out the Search cell-level configuration file, search-config.xml, using the following command:
- working_dir is the temporary directory to which you want to check out the cell level configuration file. This directory must exist on the server where you are running the wsadmin client. Use forward slashes to separate directories in the file path, even if you are using the Microsoft Windows operating system.
Note: AIX and Linux only: The directory must grant write permissions or the command will not run successfully.
- cellName is the name of the cell that the Search node belongs to. This argument is required. It is also case-sensitive, so type it with care. If you do not know the cell name, you can determine it by typing the following command in the wsadmin command processor:
- Use the following commands:
Specifies whether to delete the persisted pages after a successful incremental index. By default, the value is set to true.
This command takes a single argument:
A string that determines whether persisted pages are to be deleted after a successful incremental index. This string represents a boolean, that is, it should be set to true or false.
When this functionality is enabled, persisted pages from the initial index creation are also deleted after a successful incremental index.
Specifies the maximum age for persisted pages in a seedlist persistence directory. By default, the value is set to 720 hours (30 days).
If the pages are older than the maximum age, they are ignored when building an index or resuming a crawl.
This command takes a single argument:
A string representing an integer that specifies the maximum age in hours of the persisted pages.
- Check in the updated search-config.xml configuration file using the following wsadmin client command:
- To exit the wsadmin client, type exit at the prompt.
Stop the server or servers hosting the Search application, delete the index, and then restart the Search servers.
Stop the server or servers hosting the Search application, and then restart the Search servers.