Configuring the number of indexing threadsAdded by IBM on February 11, 2013 | Version 1 (Original)
|Edit settings in the search-config.xml file to specify the maximum number of threads used when indexing.
Before you begin
To edit configuration files, you must use the IBM
® Application Server wsadmin client. See Starting the wsadmin client
About this task
By default, the maximum number of threads allowed when indexing is 1, however you can change this value by modifying the search-config.xml
file. When you change the maximum number of indexing threads, you might also need to adjust the thread settings for the SearchIndexingWorkManager on each node. The Search application will use whichever setting is lower. For more information about updating Search work managers, see Updating Search work manager settings
To update the maximum number of threads that can be used when indexing, complete the following steps.
Parent topic: Managing the Search index
The indexing process
Configuring the number of crawling threads
Updating Search work manager settings
Creating work managers for Search
- Start the wsadmin client from the following directory of the system on which you installed the Deployment Manager:
is the WebSphere
Application Server installation directory and dm_profile_root
is the Deployment Manager profile directory, typically dmgr01.
You must start the client from this directory or subsequent commands that you enter do not execute correctly.
- After the wsadmin command environment has initialized, enter the following command to initialize the Search environment and start the Search script interpreter:
If prompted to specify a service to connect to, type 1 to pick the first node in the list. Most commands can run on any node. If the command writes or reads information to or from a file using a local file path, you must pick the node where the file is stored.
When the command is run successfully, the following message displays:
Search Administration initialized
- Check out the Search cell-level configuration file, search-config.xml, using the following command:
- working_dir is the temporary directory to which you want to check out the cell level configuration file. This directory must exist on the server where you are running the wsadmin client. Use forward slashes to separate directories in the file path, even if you are using the Microsoft Windows operating system.
Note: AIX and Linux only: The directory must grant write permissions or the command will not run successfully.
- cellName is the name of the cell that the Search node belongs to. This argument is required. It is also case-sensitive, so type it with care. If you do not know the cell name, you can determine it by typing the following command in the wsadmin command processor:
- Enter the following command:
Specifies the maximum number of indexer threads that can be used when indexing. By default, the value is set to 1.
This command takes a single argument that specifies the number of threads allowed.
- Check in the updated search-config.xml configuration file using the following wsadmin client command:
- To exit the wsadmin client, type exit at the prompt.
- Stop the server or servers hosting the Search application, delete the index, and then restart the Search servers.
The next time the scheduled task runs, it recreates the index.