Before you begin
To edit configuration files, you must use the IBM
® Application Server wsadmin client. See Starting the wsadmin client
About this task
In the news-config.xml
file you must enable support for the reply feature, and also provide a special ReplyTo address. If your deployment has a dedicated IBM
Connections mail domain, you must provide that as well. If your deployment uses an existing domain, provide either a prefix or suffix to add to the IBM
For users to be able to reply to emails, certain of their IBM
Connections settings must be selected. They must click Settings
, and then the Email Preferences
tab. They must make sure Receive notifications from other people by email
and Allow me to reply to notifications by email
(this option is only available if mail-in is enabled in the news-config.xml file) are selected. In the Content that I am following
section, they must make sure Forums
is set to Individual Emails
Users will not see Allow me to reply to notifications by email
until you perform the steps in this topic to enable notification replies.
To configure the data synchronization task, complete the following steps.
- Start the wsadmin client from the following directory of the system on which you installed the Deployment Manager:
is the WebSphere
Application Server installation directory and dm_profile_root
is the Deployment Manager profile directory, typically dmgr01.
You must start the client from this directory or subsequent commands that you enter do not execute correctly.
- Start the News Jython script interpreter.
- Use the following command to access the News configuration file:
If prompted to specify a service to connect to, type 1 to pick the first node in the list. Most commands can run on any node. If the command writes or reads information to or from a file using a local file path, you must pick the node where the file is stored.
- Check out the News cell-level configuration file using the following command:
- working_dir is the temporary directory to which you want to check out the cell-level configuration file. This directory must exist on the server where you are running wsadmin.
Note: AIX and Linux only: The directory must grant write permissions or the command will not run successfully.
- cellName is the name of the cell that the home page node belongs to. This argument is required. It is also case-sensitive, so type it with care. If you do not know the cell name, type the following command in the wsadmin command processor to determine it:
The command displays this message:
News Cell Level configuration file successfully checked out.
- Open news-config.xml in a text editor.
- Locate the section containing the mailin element:
<!-- These settings control the Mail-In feature, which provides support
for replying to certain notifications to add responses / comments. -->
<!-- A special ReplyTo address is added to notifications where
the user can reply to the notification to respond/comment.
The domain may be a dedicated domain for connections bound
mails. Or it could be existing domain, in which case a prefix
of suffix should be provided also. -->
<!-- A prefix OR suffix (not both) may also be provided.
This is necessary if an existing domain (with other
email addresses) is being used.
There is a 28 character limit for the affix. -->
- Specify the mailin.enabled and replyto.enabled attributes as "true."
- Specify your email server domain in the replytoAddressFormat.domain element. The example shown is enterprise.com.
- If you use an existing, non-dedicated domain that contains other email addresses, specify either a suffix or prefix to be added to the domain in the address. The examples shown are _lcreplyto and lcreplyto_.
- After making changes, you must check the configuration files back in, and you must do so during the same wsadmin session in which you checked them out for the changes to take effect. See Applying property changes in the News repository for information about how to save and apply your changes.
ReplyTo can be turned on or off by Connections users if the default setting <replyToEnabled>true</replyToEnabled> is specified in notification-config.xml. Refer to Enabling email notifications
for instructions on modifying notification-config.xml.
Parent topic: Configuring Forums for email notification replies
Previous topic: Configuring WebSphere Application Server for email notification replies
Configuring Exchange for notification replies
Configuring Domino for email notification replies