Before you begin
This task assumes that IBM
Installation Manager is not installed on your system.
Ensure that you complete all the prerequisite tasks that are relevant for your environment. For more information, see the Before installing
However, do not complete the prerequisite tasks that relate to IBM
Edit the default response file to suit your environment. For more information, see the Using the default response file
About this task
Using a response file for your intended deployment, install IBM
Connections on multiple systems without needing to interact with the installation wizard.
To perform a silent installation, complete the following steps:
- Open a command prompt and go to the location of the silent installation file. The file is stored in the IBM_Connections_set-up/IBM_Connections_install/IM/OS directory, where IBM_Connections_set-up is the directory or media where the IBM Connections installation files are located and OS represents your operating system
Note: To change the paths to the response file and log file, edit the lc_install.ini file. The file is located in the IBM_Connections_set-up/IBM_Connections_install/IM/OS directory.
- Run the silent installation script:
- AIX® or Linux™ (root user): ./installc -input response_file -log log_file -acceptLicense
- AIX or Linux (non-root user): ./userinstc -input response_file -log log_file -acceptLicense
- Windows™ (administrator):installc.exe -input response_file -log log_file -acceptLicense
- Windows (non-administrator):userinstc.exe -input response_file -log log_file -acceptLicense
where response_file is the full path and name of the response file and log_file is the full path and name of the log file. The default name of the file is LC.rsp.
By default, the response file is stored in the IBM_Connections_set-up/IBM_Connections_install/IBMConnecgtions directory on the installation media.
Installation Manager writes the result of the installation command to the log file that you specified with the -log parameter.
To check the complete details of the installation, open each of the log files in the connections_root/logs
directory. Each IBM
Connections application that you installed has a log file, using the following naming format: applicationInstallog.txt
, where application
is the name of an IBM
If the installation is successful, the log files are empty. For example:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
The log file contains an error element if the operation was not completed successfully. A successful installation adds a value of 0 to the log file. An unsuccessful installation adds a positive integer to the log file.
The log file for IBM
Installation Manager records the values that you entered when you ran IBM
Installation Manager in interactive mode. To review the log file for IBM
Installation Manager, open the date_time.xml
file, where date_time
represents the date and time of the installation. The file by default is in the following directory:
- AIX or Linux (root user): /var/ibm/InstallationManager/logs
- AIX or Linux (non-root user): user_home/var/ibm/InstallationManager/logs where user_home is the non-root user account directory
- Windows (administrator): C:\ProgramData\IBM\Installation Manager\logs
- Windows (non-administrator): C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\IBM\Installation Manager\logs where user is the non-administrator user account
What to do next
Complete any applicable post-installation tasks. For more information, see the Post-installation tasks
Parent topic: Installing silently
Installing IBM Connections in silent mode (with an existing IBM Installation Manager)
Using the default response file
The default response file
Directory paths for IBM Installation Manager