Before you begin
Ensure that you complete all the prerequisite tasks that are relevant for your environment. For more information, see the Before installing
About this task
This task applies to the AIX
® and Linux
™ operating systems only.
By default, only root users have the necessary permissions to install an IBM
Connections deployment. On the AIX
operating systems, you can permit non-root users to install the product by changing their permissions to access certain data directories. On the Windows
™ operating system, the user must be a member of the administrator group.
The non-root user must be the same user who installed IBM WebSphere
® Application Server.
To grant the necessary permissions to a non-root user, complete the following steps:
- Unless it already exists, create the non-root user account that you want to use to install IBM Connections.
- If it does not already exist, create a home directory for the user.
- Edit the install.ini file:
- Open the install.ini file for editing from the following location:
In the second line of the file, change admin to nonadmin.
Save and close the file.
- AIX: IBM_Connections_set-up directory/IM/aix/install.ini
- Linux: IBM_Connections_set-up directory/IM/linux/install.ini
- Linux on System z®: IBM_Connections_set-up directory/IM/zlinux/install.ini
Open a command prompt and grant the appropriate permissions to the user by entering the commands shown in the following table:
Install IBM Connections using either the wizard, the console, or a silent installation method.
Grant permissions to a non-root user who wants to install an IBM
Connections deployment on Linux
- The app_server_root directory is /opt/IBM/Websphere/Appserver.
- The IBM_Connections_set-up_directory directory is /opt/ConnectionsSetup.
- The connections_root, IM_root, and shared_resources_root directories are subdirectories of the /opt/ConnectionsInstallation directory.
- The non-root user account is a member of the ConnectionsInstallers group.
Parent topic: Installing IBM Connections
Before installing for 4.0 migration
- Create a non-root user account called ConnectionsInstaller.
- Create a home directory for the new user account.
- Add the new user account to the ConnectionsInstallers group.
- Open a command prompt and enter the following commands:
- chgrp -R ConnectionsInstallers /opt/IBM/Websphere/Appserver chmod -R g+wrx /opt/IBM/Websphere/Appserver chown -R ConnectionInstaller:ConnectionsInstallers /opt/IBM/Websphere/Appserver
- chgrp -R ConnectionsInstallers /opt/ConnectionsSetup chmod -R g+wrx /opt/ConnectionsSetup chown -R ConnectionInstaller:ConnectionsInstallers /opt/IBM/Websphere/Appserver
- chgrp -R ConnectionsInstallers /opt/ConnectionsInstallation chmod -R g+wrx /opt/ConnectionsInstallation chown -R ConnectionInstaller:ConnectionsInstallers /opt/IBM/Websphere/Appserver