Before you begin
Ensure that your environment meets the hardware and software requirements for IBM
Connections 4.0. For more information, see the IBM Connections 4.0 system requirements
If you have a version of IBM
Connections that is earlier than version 3.0.1, you must migrate it to version 3.0.1 before migrating to version 4.0.
If you plan to install the new Metrics application, IBM
recommends that you deploy IBM Cognos
® Business Intelligence before installing IBM
Connections 4.0. However, you can defer deploying Cognos
and still install Metrics. For more information, see the Installing Cognos Business Intelligence
and Configuring Cognos Business Intelligence
If you are deploying version 4.0 on a different system than version 3.0.1, you do not need to uninstall IBM
If possible, set up a test environment and simulate the migration process. Correct the cause of any errors that occur and then migrate your production environment.
This topic applies to all releases of version 3.0.1.
About this task
There are several procedures required to migrate your deployment. Your migration strategy determines which procedures you need to follow.
A side-by-side migration strategy minimizes the downtime of your production environment but costs more in terms of hardware resources.
An in-place strategy minimizes costs but causes more downtime. It is similar to the side-by-side strategy except that you do not need to deploy new hardware.
Whatever strategy you decide to follow, you must complete the following steps:
- Update IBM WebSphere Application Server to the supported version. For more information, go to the Installing maintenance packages, interim fixes, fix packs, and refresh packs in the WebSphere Application Server infocenter.
- Advise users about any possible outages. For more information, see the Preparing IBM Connections for maintenance topic.
- Back up your current deployment, including customized files and settings. For more information, see the Backing up IBM Connections and Saving your customizations topics.
- Stop IBM Connections 3.0.1.
- Export IBM Connections 3.0.1 artifacts. For more information, see the Exporting application artifacts from IBM Connections 3.0.1 topic.
- Migrate your IBM Connections 3.0.1 data. For more information, see the Migrating data from IBM Connections 3.0.1 databases topic.
Optional: Uninstall IBM Connections 3.0.1. This is recommended if you are installing version 4.0 in-place. It is not necessary if you are installing version 4.0 on new hardware.
Install IBM Connections 4.0. For more information, see the Installing IBM Connections 4.0 for migration topic.
- Update your databases to version 4.0. For more information, see the Updating 3.0.1 databases topic.
Import IBM Connections 3.0.1 artifacts. For more information, see the Importing application artifacts to IBM Connections 4.0 topic.
Perform any applicable post-migration tasks. For more information, see the Post-migration tasks topic.
- Complete the relevant Pre-installation tasks. For more information, see the Pre-installation tasks topic.
Note: Some of the Pre-installation tasks describe how to create databases or populate the Profiles database. You do not need to complete those particular tasks because the migration process automatically completes them.
- Migrate your content stores. For more information, see the Content store migration topic.
Parent topic: Updating and migrating
Saving your customizations
Updating IBM Connections 4.0
Content store migration
Updating 3.0.1 databases
Preparing IBM Connections for maintenance
Backing up IBM Connections
Preparing to migrate the media gallery
Rolling back a migration
IBM Connections system requirements