Purging forum trash on a scheduleAdded by IBM on February 11, 2013 | Version 1 (Original)
|Edit settings in the forum-config.xml file to configure the Forums trash purge schedule. You can define the interval at which the task runs by configuring the interval property, which uses a Cron schedule.
Before you begin
To edit configuration files, you must use the IBM
® Application Server wsadmin client. See Starting the wsadmin client
About this task
The trash purge job is scheduled to run periodically to permanently remove content deleted from a forum from the trash. Forums uses the WebSphere
Application Server scheduling service for purging trash from Forums. For more information about the scheduler, see Scheduling tasks
To configure the TrashAutoPurgeJob task, complete the following steps.
Parent topic: Managing forum trash
Starting the wsadmin client
Managing Forums scheduled tasks
Applying property changes in Forums
Moving forums to the trash
Deleting topics from forums
- Start the wsadmin client from the following directory of the system on which you installed the Deployment Manager:
is the WebSphere
Application Server installation directory and dm_profile_root
is the Deployment Manager profile directory, typically dmgr01.
You must start the client from this directory or subsequent commands that you enter do not execute correctly.
- Start the Forums Jython script interpreter.
- Use the following command to access the Forums configuration files:
If prompted to specify a service to connect to, type 1 to pick the first node in the list. Most commands can run on any node. If the command writes or reads information to or from a file using a local file path, you must pick the node where the file is stored.
- Check out the Forums configuration files using the following command:
- working_directory is the temporary working directory to which the configuration XML and XSD files are copied. The files are kept in this working directory while you make changes to them.
Note: AIX and Linux only: The directory must grant write permissions or the command will not run successfully.
- cell_name is the name of the WebSphere Application Server cell hosting the IBM Connections application. This argument is required. It is also case-sensitive, so type it with care. If you do not know the cell name, you can determine it by typing the following command in the wsadmin command processor:
- To view the current configuration settings, use the following command:
Note: After updating any of the configuration settings, you can use this command again to display your updates.
- To change configuration settings for Forums, use the following command:
- property is one of the editable Forums configuration properties.
- value is the new value with which you want to set that property.
The following table displays information about the TrashAutoPurgeJob property and the type of data that you can enter for it.
Table 1. TrashAutoPurgeJob properties
|task.TrashAutoPurgeJob.enabled||Enables or disables the forum purge trash task.|
This property accepts the following values: true or false.
|task.TrashAutoPurgeJob.trashRetentionInDays||Specifies the number of days that deleted content remains in the database as being soft-deleted. The value must be set to 1 or greater. If the value is less than 1, the trash is not purged by this job. The default value is 90.|
|task.TrashAutoPurgeJob.interval||Specifies the interval at which the forum purge trash task runs.|
When you change the interval property, the new schedule is registered the next time that Forums is started on any server in the Forums cluster (if there is one).
ForumsConfigService.updateConfig("task.TrashAutoPurgeJob.interval", "0 0/15 * * * ?")
- After making changes, you must check the configuration files back in, and you must do so during the same wsadmin session in which you checked them out for the changes to take effect. See Applying property changes in Forums for information about how to save and apply your changes.