Before you begin
Anyone can respond to a topic in a stand-alone forum, you just need to have access to the Forums application. You must be a community member, and be enabled for mail-in capabilities, to respond to a topic in a community forum. If forum topics are moderated, your response does not display immediately. The forum moderator must approve its content first. If content moderation is not enabled, then the topic response displays immediately.
About this task
In addition to responding to forum topics from the Forums user interface, when you receive an email notification about a new or updated forum topic, you can also reply to the topic directly from the mail. Additional considerations when responding to a forum topic include the following:
- You can add attachments to response. Attachments must all comply with existing file upload constraints, such as file size and file extension. Embedded images in your reply are processed as attachments.
- When you reply to an email notification, all previous content is included as part of the reply. To truncate the previous content , manually add #end where you want to end the reply history to end. Content that appears after the #end entry is ignored.
- You can reply more than once to an email notification.
- To reply to emails, certain settings must be selected. Click Settings, and then click the Email Preferences tab. Make sure Receive notifications from other people by email and Allow me to reply to notifications by email are selected. In the Content that I am following section, make sure Forums is set to Individual Emails.
To respond to a forum topic, complete the following steps.
Parent topic: Using
Adding forum topics
Deleting responses to forum topics
Working with attachments
- Open the topic to which you want to respond.
The original topic displays, with a list of the responses to it.
- Click Reply under the section of the thread to which you want to respond.
- Optional: To change the title of your response, click Edit Title and enter a title in the field provided.
- Enter your response in the rich text field provided.
- To attach a file to your response, click Attach a File and browse for a file.
- Click Save to save your reply.