Before you begin
Any community member can share files with a community from the Files application. Members with Editor access can also upload files to the community. Your community must contain the Files widget for you to be able to share files with the community. The widget is automatically added to a community when it is first created, but if it has been removed, you can add it to the community again if you are a community owner. For information about adding widgets to a community, see Adding widgets to your community
File owners can also share files with a community or give a copy of a file to a community directly from the Files application. Anyone can share files with a community to which they have access, but only the community owner and the file owner can remove the file reference from the community. For more information about sharing files with a community from Files, see How do I share files?
About this task
The Files widget allows community members to share local files and files from the Files application with the rest of the community. Sharing files is a great way to foster collaboration within a community. By encouraging members to upload files to the community, you can work together on shared documents and build up a valuable repository of information that is accessible from within the community.
- The type of files that you can share depends on the type of community that you want to share the files with. A public community can contain only public files, and a restricted community can contain either public or private files.
- If your community has a media gallery, upload photo and video files from the media gallery instead of the Files widget to access extra functionality for working with multimedia files. For more information, see Uploading content to the media gallery.
To share files with your community, complete the following steps.
Parent topic: Adding files to a community
Adding widgets to your community to make more functionality available
Managing access to community files
Sharing folders with your community
Downloading files shared with a community so you can view them locally
Managing community files
- From the Files widget on the Overview page, click Share Files.
Note: If you are the first person to share files with the community, click Share Your First File.
- Do one of the following:
- To upload a file from your local file system:
- Click Browse files on my computer.
- Click Browse to find the file that you want to share.
- Edit the file name if necessary, enter some tags in the Tags field, and then click Upload.
The file is now owned by the community. You do not see it in your My Files list of the Files application.
- To share a file from the Files application:
- Select the type of file that you want to share from the options.
Table 1. File-sharing options
|Recent Files||Files recently uploaded to the Files application.|
|Pinned Files||Files that you marked as prioritized in the Files application.|
|My Files||Files that you uploaded to the Files application.|
|Shared With Me||Files shared with you from the Files application.|
|Other People's Files||Other people's files shared with public or files that they shared with you from the Files application.|
|Pinned Folders||Folders that you prioritized in the Files application.|
|My Folders||Files from your personal folders in the Files application.|
|Shared Folders||Files from shared folders in the Files application.|
- Select one or more files from the list that displays.
- Specify whether you want to allow community members to edit the file or files, and then click Share Files.
- If you do not see the file that you are looking for, enter the file name in the search field and click the search icon. icon.