Before you begin
This tool requires JRE 1.5 or later to run successfully.
You can use ISA Lite to collect data from a system running the AIX
™, and System z
® for Linux
operating systems. ISA Lite can only collect data associated with database issues when you are using IBM DB2
®; it does not have a collector for Oracle nor SQL Server databases. You can use command line or graphical user interface mode.
You are asked to provide the root directory, profile name, server name, and administrative user ID and password of the IBM WebSphere
® Application Server hosting any IBM
Connection applications for which you want to collect data. You are asked for similar information for the database server if you choose to troubleshoot DB2
or the installation. If you do not know this information, find it out before running the tool.
About this task
The tool asks you to identify the component of the product that you want to troubleshoot. After you specify the component, and provide supporting information, you are asked to recreate the problem so that the error messages written to the log files are captured and can be sent to IBM
- Find the ISA Lite tool in the following directory:
- AIX, Linux or System z for Linux: CONNECTIONS_HOME/ISALite
- Microsoft Windows: CONNECTIONS_HOME\ISALite
Optional: To collect information about a single application, copy the ISA Lite file to the node hosting that application.
Start the ISA Lite tool by running the executable file that corresponds to the mode that you want to run the tool in.
ISA Lite also packaged with the database wizards in one of the following locations:
- AIX, Linux or System z for Linux: Wizards/isa/linux/ISALite
- Microsoft Windows: Wizards\isa\win\ISALite
Specify the value of the Java™ Home variable in the command line.
- Graphical user interface
- AIX, Linux, or System z for Linux: runISALite.sh
- Microsoft Windows: runISALite.bat
- Command line
- AIX, Linux, or System z for Linux: runISALite.sh -console
- Microsoft Windows: runISALite.bat -console
To collect data, perform the following steps:
- AIX, Linux, or System z for Linux: /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/java/jre
- Microsoft Windows: C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\java
- Select the feature for which you want to collect data from the following list:
- IBM Connections Activities Collection
- IBM Connections Activities DB Collection
- IBM Connections Authentication Collection
- IBM Connections Blog Collection
- IBM Connections Bookmarks Collection
- IBM Connections Calendar Collection
- IBM Connections Communities Collection
- IBM Connections Communities DB Collection
- IBM Connections DB2 Collection
- IBM Connections Bookmarks Collection
- IBM Connections Email Digest Collection
- IBM Connections Files Collection
- IBM Connections Forums Collection
- IBM Connections Homepage Collection
- IBM Connections IBM HTTP Server Collection
- IBM Connections Install Collection
- IBM Connections MailIn Collection
- IBM Connections Metrics Collection
- IBM Connections Mobile Collection
- IBM Connections Moderation Collection
- IBM Connections News Collection
- IBM Connections Notification Collection
- IBM Connections Profiles Collection
- IBM Connections Profiles TDI Collection
- IBM Connections ReplyTo Collection
- IBM Connections Search Collection
- IBM Connections Wikis Collection
Note: The Notification, Email Digest, MailIn, and ReplyTo functions are all in the News application.
Provide a path and file name for the file to which you want to save the resulting data collection. Include a .zip file extension. Use the file naming convention for PMR tickets to help IBM Support identify the file when you send it to them later. For more details, refer to the following web page: http://www-05.ibm.com/de/support/ecurep/prepare.html
Click Collect Data.
Follow the instructions provided.
If you want to minimize the amount of data returned by the tool to only the essential information, perform the following tasks:
- When you are asked whether IBM Support has requested that you enter additional trace strings, select Yes.
- Enter your own trace strings. See Recommended trace scripts for more details.
- When you are asked whether you want to append the string to the existing trace string or replace the current trace string, indicate that you want to replace the current trace string.
- When prompted, enter the name of the file to which you want the tool to send the resulting data. Include the relative path to the file. For example, you might enter /tmp/activities.zip.
- When asked to confirm, enter yes.
- Enter the number of the collection that you want to run.
You can only run the IBM Connections DB2 Collection if the tool is installed on the same system hosting the database. Likewise, you can only run the IBM Connections Install Collection if the tool is installed on the system hosting the deployment manager.
- Enter the root directory of the IBM WebSphere Application Server that is running the application that you want to collect from. For example, you might enter /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer.
If you select the Install Collection, you are asked to provide the root directory of the deployment manager and if you select the DB2 Collection, you are asked to provide the root directory for the DB2 database.
- Start collecting data by typing 1 when prompted.
Recommended trace scripts
Parent topic: Resolving a problem
When you use ISA to collect log files and other information, it returns more data than you really need. You can specify your own trace scripts to limit the amount of data collected by the tool.