Using the Activity Stream portlet
- Make sure you have imported the IBM Connections security certificate for your browser or this portlet will not work properly. For details, see Importing the IBM Connections certificate for your browser.
- The Activity Stream portlet does not support basic authentication.
The Activity Stream portlet has three possible modes for displaying information: Homepage Experience, Community Experience, and Profile Board Experience. The mode controls what types of activity you see in the portlet. When the Activity Stream portlet is added to a page, it will default to the Homepage Experience mode unless the page is a community page, in which case it defaults to the Community Experience mode and displays updates from the associated community. To see the Profile Board experience, you must explicitly configure that option for the portlet.
You can use the activity stream to view the latest news stories and updates from across IBM
® Connections. The updates are displayed in list format, making it easy for you to scan through the entries and quickly identify the updates that are most important to you. Interact with and respond to content faster.
Only one Activity Stream portlet on a portal page is supported.
A variety of views are available in the Activities Stream portlet. The views available depend on the mode you choose.
Select a view from the Show
list. The following views are available when you are viewing the Homepage Experience mode for the Activity Streams portlet:
|I'm Following||Displays updates related to the people and content that you are following.|
|Status Updates||Displays the latest status update messages from across your organization.|
|My Notifications||Displays the latest notifications that you received and sent in IBM Connections.|
|@Mentions||Displays messages that mention you directly. |
Note: This feature requires IBM Connections 4.5 or later. The view does not display if you are using IBM Connections 4.0.
|Action Required||Displays your latest to-do items from Activities, network and community invitations, requests to join moderated communities, and any third-party events requiring an action on your part.|
|Saved||Displays the updates that you saved.|
|Discover||Displays the latest public updates from all the applications.|
For details, see the Homepage Views
article in the IBM Connections wiki.
By default, all updates display in the view. To filter the view, for example, to see only the updates for communities you follow when you are using the Homepage Experience mode, click a component name in the Filter By
There is no Filter By
option in the Community Experience.
Follow these guidelines for working with content in the activity stream.
Editing the settings for the Activities Stream portlet
You can personalize the portlet to show the mode and features that you want to see. If you have at least editor access for the page and for the portlet choose Edit Shared Settings
and choose what displays by default when users access the portlet. For more information about access levels, see the WebSphere
® Portal wiki. To edit the settings for yourself, choose Personalize
from the portlet menu and choose what to display. Settings in the Personalize
panel overwrite settings in the Edit Shared Settings
panel. If you have administrator access to the Portal application, you can also set these options by choosing Configure
from the portlet menu. Options set using the Configure
panel apply to all portlets but can be overwritten by settings made in the Edit Shared Settings
Choose the mode for the portlet.
If you do not explicitly select a mode, no radio buttons appear as selected and the portlet defaults to the Homepage Experience for a stand-alone portlet, or the Communities Experience for a portlet on a community page.
|Homepage Experience||Homepage Experience is the default unless the Activity Stream portlet is placed on a Community page. |
|Communities Experience||Communities Experience is the default when the Activities Stream portlet is placed on a Community page. Choose Recent Updates or Status Updates to view updates from the community that is associated with the Portal page.|
|Profile Board Experience||Profile Board Experience displays the stream as you would see it on a Connections profile associated with the page for a profile that's displayed in the profiles portlet. To use the Profile Board experience, either navigate to a profile or identify the user you want to follow and pin the user's profile in the Profiles portlet.
- Add the Profiles portlet to the page containing the Activity Stream portlet. Depending on how the Profiles portlet is configured, you might see a message that you need to pin a user to display their activity in the Activity Stream portlet.
- Configure the Activity Stream portlet to show the Profile Board experience.
- To view the profile board for a person:
- In the Profiles portlet, click on a profile picture in the Network section of the profile being displayed, or click any name in the Same Manager, People Managed or Full Report-to Chain views. Or, click Find a Profile to search for and choose the person whose board you want to view.
- Choose Edit Shared Settings from the portlet menu on the Profiles portlet and select Always pin to the current profile or Dynamically pin to the most recently selected profile.
Note: Selecting Always pin to the current profile always displays the profile of the person selected when the pin is applied. Selecting Dynamically pin to the most recently selected profile allows the administrator to dynamically pin to the last profile viewed in the Profiles portlet at any given time.
Choose which of the following features to display in the portlet:
Parent topic: Using the IBM Connections Portlets for WebSphere Portal
- Status Updates displays a text box so you can enter a status update.
- Activity Stream displays updates about content you are following.
- Embedded Experience allows you to view and interact with content.