This section describes how to configure Sametime to surface Connections functionality.
There are two potential areas of integration where Connections features can be surfaced within Sametime:
- Photos stored in Connections profiles can appear in Sametime web client instant message headers and Sametime business card.
- Connections business card can be used in place of Sametime business card.
Note that both of these require that email addresses are enabled on the Connections server. This is the default setting in a Connections deployment but to verify whether this has been disabled check LotusConnections-config.xml
. There is a setting in this file called exposeEmail enabled
which needs to be set to true for the following integration points to work.
Displaying Connections profile photos in Sametime web client instant messages
The following steps are required in order to display the photos stored in Connections profiles within the Sametime web client. Note that this configuration does not affect the Sametime Connect client.
- Add a photoURL to the LDAP person records.
- Configure the photoURL in the Sametime Community server.
Add a photoURL to the LDAP person records
The example environment uses the Domino directory as the LDAP. By default, person records contain a field named photoURL
which is displayed in the Miscellaneous tab of the person record.
- Complete this field with a URL in the following format: http://Connections_hostname/profiles/photo.do?email=user_email_address
For example, in the example environment the URL: http://connections.demos.ibm.com/profiles/photo.do?email=Betty.Zechman@demos.ibm.com when typed into a browser displays the photo associated with the account that has that email address.
Configure the photoURL in the Sametime Community server
The contents of the Sametime business card is controlled by the userconfig.xml
file that is stored in the Domino program directory of the Sametime Community server.
In order to use the photoURL
field to generate the photo to display in the Sametime web chat headers and business card:
1. Append the following line to the Details
2: <Detail Id="MailAddress" FieldName="mail" Type="text/plain"/>
3: <Detail Id="Name" FieldName="cn" Type="text/plain"/>
4: <Detail Id="Title" FieldName="title" Type="text/plain"/>
5: <Detail Id="Location" FieldName="postalAddress" Type="text/plain"/>
6: <Detail Id="Telephone" FieldName="telephoneNumber" Type="text/plain"/>
7: <Detail Id="Company" FieldName="ou" Type="text/plain" />
8: <Detail Id="Photo" FieldName="jpegPhoto" Type="image/jpeg" />
9: <Detail Id="PhotoURL" FieldName="PhotoURL" Type="text/plain"/>
2. Add PhotoURL
as a parameter in both lines in the ParamSets
2: <Set SetId="0" params="MailAddress,Name,Title,Location,Telephone,Photo,PhotoURL,Company"/>
3: <Set SetId="1" params="MailAddress,Name,Title,Location,Telephone,Photo,PhotoURL,Company"/>
To verify the configuration:
- Login to the Sametime web client (either using the Sametime 8.5.2 Proxy server or the Sametime 18.104.22.168 Proxy server) using the credentials of one of the LDAP users.
- Using a separate browser, login to the Sametime web client as a different LDAP user.
- From one of the browsers add the other user to the contact list (if not already added).
- Hover over the user's name and the Sametime business card should be displayed with the Connections profile photo.
- Start a chat with the user and the user's photo should appear in the header of the instant message.
Add Connections business card into Sametime Web client
In order for the Connections business card to be used as the business card within the Sametime web client, the Connections server needs the following fix applied.
These are also available on fix central and can be applied with the Connections Update installer.
: This is included in the list of fixes that were applied during the Connections installation 4.3 IBM Connections installation
The above fix is required for both the Sametime 22.214.171.124 and Sametime 8.5.2 proxy servers to be able to display the business card. In addition the Sametime 8.5.2 proxy server needs to be upgraded to Sametime 8.5.2 Interim Feature Release 1 in order for the Connections business card to display correctly in the Sametime 8.5.2 web client. The instructions for performing this upgrade are detailed in 11. Sametime Integration
Once the above prerequisite tasks have been completed, the following details the high level steps for enabling the two Sametime web proxy servers to use the Connections business card instead of the Sametime business card. For detailed instructions, refer to the following document:
For the example environment, from the Integrated Solutions Console for the Sametime System Console:
- Select Sametime System Console > Sametime Servers > Sametime Proxy Servers > 852proxy
- Under General Properties enter the URL to the Connections Profiles application
- Repeat the above two steps but this time select the 8511proxy server.
- Restart the two proxy servers and their node agents.
To verify the functionality log in to the Sametime web client and hover over one of the names in the contact list. A business card will display which when expanded will provide options to access the selected users profile and other associated Connections content.