Before installing your IBM Connections environment, you must verify if your operation system are supported and provide sufficient disk space for a successful installation and operation of the product that you plan to install.
Operating system requirements
For IBM Connections on Linux ensure that you have the following packages and libraries installed:
Ensure that the GTK library is available on your system. Even when your IBM Connection is to be installed on a 64-bit system, you still need the 32-bit version of the GTK library. If you use silent mode or console mode to install IBM Connections, you do not need the GTK libraries.
For IBM Connections on AIX, ensure that you have X11 package installed on you server:
IBM Connections on Windows does not required any additional software to be installed.
Applying operating system patches
It is important to have the operating system patches required for the IBM Connections to avoid installation issues on your environment. You can check the operating system requisites as described in 2.3 Software requirements
If you plan to install Cognos, you need the libraries listed in the Cognos BI 10.1.1 Software Environments - Required Patches
It is important to define how many users will use the system and how much data the users might generate to plan your IBM Connections environment. The following is the minimum space required for IBM Connections features:
- Activities - 10 GB for content store for holding files reference, images reference, text content, and so on.
- Blogs - 10 GB for content store for holding files reference, images reference, text content, and so on.
- Bookmarks - 1 GB for FavIcons Directory, the icons that are displayed on Bookmarks.
- Communities - 3 GB for content store
- Files - 10 GB for uploaded files, directory stores files to be uploaded to user blogs.
- Homepage - 1 GB for content store for holding files reference, images reference, text content, and so on.
- News - 500 MB per message store for holding files reference, images reference, text content, and so on.
- Profiles - 30 MB for cache file directory
- Search - 15 GB for index files directory, the disk space required for the search index is depended on the amount of content in the individual IBM Connections features and the disk space required will grow when the IBM Connections content grows.
- Wiki - 10 GB for content store for holding files reference, images reference, text content, and so on.
The sizes of these directories will grow when the number of users and activities increases. Monitor the space available to know when is necessary to increase the capacity.
Note: Content store, are all data generated from an application (Activities, Blogs and Homepage) and are stored on databases.
All other contents (Files, cache, Index, Temporary and Search) are stored on the shared folder defined during the installation procedure. For IBM Connections environments in WebSphere Application Server Cluster, they are stored on a shared file system, for example, a NFS directory of /opt/IBM/Connections/data/shared on Deployment Manager server
Each product in the IBM Connections environment has its own system requirements. For more information, see the Information Center of the product: