Migration is a time consuming process. The main concern of migration is the down-time of your existing implementation. Regardless of the migration path chosen, it is vital to understand business impacts that any down time of your existing implementation may have and to plan your migration accordingly.
When planning your IBM Connections migration project, it is important to take a holistic approach to the exercise. Even though IBM Connections has only a few main components - Directory Server, WebSphere Application Server, Database Server, it might have been integrated with numerous products such as WebSphere Portal, IBM Sametime, Lotus Notes (Social Mail), Microsoft Sharepoint, Microsoft Desktop Plugins, Cognos Business Intelligence, FileNet, and Lotus Quickr that must be migrated as well. Each component and integration point needs to assessed when putting your plan together.
For all integrated and non integrated products with IBM Connection 4.5, it is worth answering some of these questions when planning your migration strategy:
- What is the current state of the existing IBM Connections instance? Are there outstanding items that need to be addresses pre-migration?
- What are the business goals for the migration? Does the business require access to the system while migration takes place?
- Which products are in-scope for migration? Are they supported for integration into IBM Connections 4.5, or do they need to upgraded to a later version as part of the migration?
- Which products and components can be re-used, re-configured?
- Which products and components require additional hardware?
- Which existing/new systems/components require development effort to ensure complete integration? What in-house customization/development has been done to the base products that might need attention as part of the migration?
- Which products in the organization can be easily be migrated into IBM Connections? For example, Content management (CCM) integration for example with Quickr Portal and Dimino Places to CMM. What impact does this have on the business?
- What migration tools are available that could assist the migrating existing content from other components/systems into IBM Connections / CCM?