Migrating to IBM Connections 4.5
This chapter describes the migration from IBM Connections version 4.0 to version 4.5 using built-in wizards and scripts to move your data, configuration settings, and databases.
This topic applies to all 4.0 CR2 and later releases of version 4.0, that means you must upgrade your deployment to 4.0 CR2 before performing the migration.
If you have any customized header, footer, theme, or CSS files, you might need to update those customization manually. For more information, see the Saving your customization
You must delete any Search-related data from your IBM Connections 4.0 content stores, such as indexes and statistics. The 4.5 installation generates new Search-related data.
Before you begin
Ensure that your environment meets the hardware and software requirements for IBM Connections 4.5. For more information, see the IBM Connections system requirements
topic in the product documentation.
If you have a version of IBM Connections that is earlier than version 4.0, you must migrate it to version 4.0 before migrating to version 4.5.
If you plan to install the new Metrics application, deploy IBM Cognos® Business Intelligence before installing IBM Connections 4.5. However, you can install Metrics and defer Cognos deployment . For more information, see the Installing Cognos Business Intelligence
and Configuring Cognos Business Intelligence
If you are deploying version 4.5 on a different system than version 4.0, you do not need to uninstall IBM Connections 4.0.
If possible, set up a test environment and simulate the migration process. Correct the cause of any errors that occur and then migrate your production environment.
This topic applies to all 4.0 CR2 and later releases of version 4.0, which means you need to upgrade your deployment to 4.0 CR2 before performing the migration.
About this task
There are several procedures required to migrate your deployment. Your migration strategy determines which procedures you must follow.
A side-by-side migration
strategy minimizes the downtime of your production environment but costs more in terms of hardware resources.
An in-place strategy
minimizes costs but causes more downtime. It is similar to the side-by-side strategy except that you do not need to deploy new hardware.
Regardless the migration strategy chosen, you must complete the following steps:
Optional: Uninstall IBM Connections 4.0. This is recommended if you are installing version 4.5 in-place. It is not necessary if you are installing version 4.5 on new hardware.
Install IBM Connections 4.5. For more information, see the Preinstallation tasks.
- Install IBM WebSphere Application Server version 126.96.36.199 and check for any related fix packs. For more information, see Installing maintenance packages, interim fixes, fix packs, and refresh packs in the WebSphere Application Server information center.
- Advise users about any possible outages. For more information, see the 3.1 Premigration tasks.
- Back up your current deployment, including customized files and settings. For more information, see the Backing up IBM Connections and Saving your customizations.
- Stop IBM Connections 4.0.
- Export IBM Connections 4.0 artifacts. For more information, see the Exporting application artifacts from IBM Connections 4.0 .
- Migrate your IBM Connections 4.0 data. For more information, see the 3.2 Migrating data from IBM Connections 3.0.1 / 4.0 databases.
Import IBM Connections 4.0 artifacts. For more information, see the Importing application artifacts to IBM Connections 4.5 .
- Complete the relevant pre-installation tasks. For more information, see the 3.3 Preinstallation tasks.
Note: Some of the pre-installation tasks describe how to create databases or populate the Profiles database. You do not need to complete those particular tasks because the migration process automatically completes them.
- Migrate your content stores. For more information, see the Content store migration.
Note: Reuse the extracted file content that is stored at the location pointed to by the EXTRACTED_FILE_STORE WebSphere variable. You can achieve this by copying the contents of EXTRACTED_FILE_STORE location on the 4.0 system to the EXTRACTED_FILE_STORE location on the 4.5 system as part of the content store migration.
Download the required files from Passport Advantage and Fix Central
For a Windows installation, you must download these files from Passport Advantage:
- CIG8XML IBM FileNet Content Platform Engine V5.2 Windows Multilingual
- CIG9FEN IBM FileNet Content Platform Engine Client V5.2 Windows English
- CIG7ZML IBM FileNet Collaboration Services V2.0 Windows Multilingual
- CI5VMML IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Server 64-bit 10.1.1 Windows Multilingual
- CI2Q1ML IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Transformer 10.1.1 Windows Multilingual
- CI6NDML IBM DB2 10.1 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Enterprise Server Edition - Authorized User Single Install Option Quick Start and Activation Multiplatform Multilingual
- CZ9MKML IBM Tivoli Directory Integrator Identity Edition V7.1 for Windows x86-64
- WebSphere Application Server
- CZM9KML IBM WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment V8.0 (1 of 4)
- CZM9LML IBM WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment V8.0 (2 of 4)
- CZM9MML IBM WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment V8.0 (3 of 4)
- CZVG4ML IBM WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment V8.0 (4 of 4)
- CZM91ML IBM WebSphere Application Server V8.0 Supplements (1 of 4)
- CZM94ML IBM WebSphere Application Server V8.0 Supplements (2 of 4)
- CZM95ML IBM WebSphere Application Server V8.0 Supplements (3 of 4)
- CZXR9ML IBM WebSphere Application Server V8.0 Supplements (4 of 4)
- IBM Connections 4.5
- CIHC5ML IBM Connections V4.5 for Windows Multilingual
- CIHC8ML IBM Connections V4.5 Wizard for Windows Multilingual
To update the WebSphere Application Server system to the required level, you must download these files from Fix Central:
- Cognos Business Intelligence 10.1.1 Fix Pack 1
- IBM Installation Manager 1.5.3 Install Kit for Windows
- IBM WebSphere Application Server Fix Pack 188.8.131.52 for distributed platforms part1
- IBM WebSphere Application Server Fix Pack 184.108.40.206 for distributed platforms part2
- 8.0.0-WS-WASSupplements-FP0000006-part1 for distributed platforms
- 8.0.0-WS-WASSupplements-FP0000006-part2 for distributed platforms
- WebSphere Customization Toolbox Fix Pack 220.127.116.11 for distributed platforms
Rolling back a migration
If a migration fails, you can roll back your environment to the previous one.
Before you begin
Ensure that you have a back-up copy of your installation environment.
About this task
Rolling back your IBM® Connections environment ensures that you have a clean environment before attempting the migration again.
To roll back your IBM Connections environment, complete the following steps:
- Restore your databases from the backup that you made. Use your native database tools.
- Restore your IBM Connections installation directory from the backup.
- Restore your WebSphere® Application Server profile directory and the profileRegistry.xml file from the back-up.
- Restore the WebSphere Application Server Deployment Manager profile directory: profile_root/Dmgr01. For example: D:\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\dmgr.
- if you are performing migration on the same system as your 4.0 deployment, restore the IBM Installation Manager data directory from your backup.