You can configure settings in the profiles-config.xml
file to control the character limit available for status updates and board entries.
Before you begin
To edit configuration files, you must use the IBM® WebSphere® Application Server wsadmin client. See Starting the wsadmin client
for information about how to start the wsadmin command-line tool.
To set the character limit for status updates and the board, complete the following steps.
- Start the wsadmin client from the following directory of the system on which you installed the deployment manager:
You must start the client from this directory or subsequent commands that you enter do not execute correctly. For more information, see Starting the wsadmin client.
- Start the Profiles Jython script interpreter.
- Enter the following command to access the Profiles configuration files:
- Enter the following command to check out the Profiles configuration files:
- <working_directory> is the temporary working directory to which the configuration XML and XSD files are copied and are stored while you make changes to them. Use forward slashes (/) to separate directories in the file path, even if you are using the Microsoft® Windows® operating system.
Note: AIX® and Linux® only: The directory must grant write permissions or the command does not complete successfully.
- <cell_name> is the name of the WebSphere Application Server cell hosting the Profiles application. This argument is required. It is also case-sensitive, so type it with care. If you do not know the cell name, you can determine it by typing the following command in the wsadmin command processor: print AdminControl.getCell()
- AIX or Linux:
- Microsoft Windows:
- Open the profiles-config.xml file in a text editor.
- Update the following settings in the <properties> section of the file.
<property name="com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.theboard.entry.MaxChars" value="1000"/>
<property name="com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.theboard.entry.ViewTruncateChars" value="250"/>
<property name="com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.theboard.comment.ViewTruncateChars" value="250"/>
Controls how many characters can be entered in status updates, board messages, and board comments. The default is 1000 characters.com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.theboard.entry.ViewTruncateChars
Controls how many characters are viewable in the Profiles user interface for board entries. The default is 250 characters.com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.ui.theboard.comment.ViewTruncateChars
Text is truncated after 250 characters even though the actual text can be stored in the database up to the maximum number of characters specified by the com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.theboard.entry.MaxChars property.
Controls how many characters are viewable in the Profiles user interface for comments on board entries. The default is 250 characters.
Text is truncated after 250 characters even though the actual text can stored in the database up to the maximum number of characters specified by the com.ibm.lconn.profiles.config.theboard.entry.MaxChars property.
- Save your changes and close the configuration file.
- After making changes, you must check the configuration files back in, and you must do so during the same wsadmin session in which you checked them out for the changes to take effect. See Applying property changes in Profiles for information about how to save and apply your changes.
Parent topic: Configuring advanced settings in Profiles
Applying property changes in Profiles