Configuring the vCard export application for ProfilesAdded by IBM on February 2, 2011 | Version 1 (Original)
|Configure settings in the profiles-config.xml file to specify the character set encoding options used to export vCards. The table below lists the character set encoding options that work best.
Configure settings in the profiles-config.xml
file to specify the character set encoding options used to export vCards. The table below lists the character set encoding options that work best.
Before you begin
To use administrative commands, you must use the IBM® WebSphere® Application Server wsadmin client. See Starting the wsadmin client
About this task
Profiles users can export vCards from people's profiles and then import the profiles into their email client as contacts. You can configure the profiles-config.xml
file to specify the encoding options that are available when exporting vCards from Profiles and determine which options are most appropriate for your users.
To configure the vCard export application, complete the following steps.
- Start the wsadmin client from the following directory of the system on which you installed the deployment manager:
You must start the client from this directory or subsequent commands that you enter do not execute correctly.
- Start the Profiles Jython script interpreter.
- Enter the following command to access the Profiles configuration files:
- Enter the following command to check out the Profiles configuration files:
- <working_directory> is the temporary working directory to which the configuration XML and XSD files are copied and are stored while you make changes to them. Use forward slashes (/) to separate directories in the file path, even if you are using the Microsoft® Windows® operating system.
Note: AIX® and Linux® only: The directory must grant write permissions or the command does not complete successfully.
- <cell_name> is the name of the WebSphere Application Server cell hosting the Profiles application. This argument is required. It is also case-sensitive, so type it with care. If you do not know the cell name, you can determine it by typing the following command in the wsadmin command processor: print AdminControl.getCell()
- AIX or Linux:
- Microsoft Windows:
- Open the Profiles configuration file, profiles-config.xml, using a text editor and locate the <vcardExport> section, which looks like the following:
- To provide an export encoding that is specific to your language, include the following lines of code within the <vcardExport> tags:
- <character_encoding> is the name of the character encoding to export.
- <ui_label> is the label for the character encoding in the user interface.
For example, to add an export setting for Arabic, include the following element:
The following character set encoding options work best:
Table 1. Export character set encodings
|Windows-1250||Central European languages that use Latin script (Polish, Czech, Slovak, Hungarian, Slovene, Serbian, Croatian, Romanian, and Albanian)|
Complete this step for every language for which you require encoding support. There is no limit to the number of character set encodings that you can specify.
- After making changes, you must check the configuration files back in, and you must do so during the same wsadmin session in which you checked them out for the changes to take effect. See Applying property changes in Profiles for information about how to save and apply your changes.
Parent topic: Administering Profiles
Applying property changes in Profiles
Adding custom strings for widgets and other specified scenarios