ShowTable of Contents
Lotus® Expeditor Client for Devices is a software program that provides a runtime environment and integrated middleware components for extending many enterprise applications to mobile devices. It provides a client-side, services-oriented framework that can enable applications to run locally while the system is disconnected from the network, and can synchronize data, transactions, and applications after the system is reconnected. It also provides client management services that can be used by network and system administrators to deploy, maintain, update, and even remove software from end-user machines, with minimal end-user intervention.
Accessing your documentation
You can view the latest version of the documentation as well as translated documentation in the Lotus Expeditor product wiki.
Supported hardware and software
To review detailed system requirements for Lotus Expeditor, visit the following URL: http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=899&uid=swg27015335.
Installing the client on a device
You can install Lotus Expeditor Client on a device or to a storage card in a device in one of the following ways:
- From a DVD or local drive
- From a storage card
- From a Web site
During installation, you can choose to have Expeditor automatically started when your device is turned on. This option means that Lotus Expeditor will consume approximately 7MB of memory when your device starts and will slightly lengthen the time before your device is ready to use. However, starting Lotus Expeditor applications will happen much more quickly because the Lotus Expeditor environment is already started. If you choose this option and later decide you want to change it, you can disable it using the following steps:
- On your device, open File Explorer and browse to the folder where Lotus Expeditor is installed.
- Select the Disable Startup link. The next time you power-on your device, Lotus Expeditor will not be started. You may use "Enable Startup" to resume the auto-start feature.
Installing from a DVD
You can install the Lotus Expeditor Client onto your device from a PC using ActiveSync.
Note: The device must have 19MB of free file system storage (to contain the installation CAB file and the installed product) to use this installation method.
- Connect your device to a PC using ActiveSync.
- Insert the Lotus Expeditor 6.2 Client DVD into the PC's DVD drive.
- Use the Windows Explorer to browse to the DVD and open the /device/install folder. Browse to the subdirectory for the OS of your device.
- Run the installation program (Expeditor-wm-setup.exe on Windows Mobile, Expeditor-wince-setup.exe on Windows CE, and Expeditor-s60.SISX on Nokia S60). The installation program will transfer a setup program to the device and then installation continues on the device. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation to your device.
Installing from a storage card
You can copy the installation file from the DVD onto a storage card and install the Lotus Expeditor Client onto the device from the storage card.
- Connect the storage card to the PC using the method provided by the storage card provider.
- Insert the Lotus Expeditor 6.2 Client DVD into the PC's DVD drive.
- Use the File Explorer to browse to the DVD and open the /device/install folder. Browse to the subdirectory for the OS of your device (wm, wmstd, or wince).
- Copy the OS appropriate Expeditor CAB, DP, or SISX file to your storage card.
- Transfer the storage card to your device.
- Use the File Explorer on the device to browse to the storage card.
- Execute the Expeditor installation file and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
Windows CE operating systems will delete the CAB file from a storage card after software installation. Sprint Titan will delete the DP file from a storage card after software installation. If you do not want the Expeditor CAB or DP file deleted from your storage card, enable write protection (lock) on the storage card before installation.
Installing from a Web site
- On a device with a network connection, use the device Web browser to browse to the Web site provided by your administrator.
- Select the Expeditor installation file appropriate for your device operating system.
- Save the file to the device.
- Use the File Explorer on the device to browse to the location where you saved the file and execute the file. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
Installing to a storage card
You can install the Lotus Expeditor Client for Devices on a removable media card, such as an SD card. When Lotus Expeditor Client is installed to a storage card, the /ExpeditorWS folder is also placed on the storage card. If you are upgrading an existing installation of Lotus Expeditor Client, and the new release is being installed on storage card, an existing workspace on the device is automatically migrated and moved to the storage card.
The installation folder is named /Expeditor by default.
Note: During installation on Windows CE, you might be asked to change the installation folder prior to installation.
- On Windows Mobile devices, select the Storage Card option when asked to specify the location to install IBM® Lotus Expeditor.
- On Windows CE devices, when prompted to select the IBM Lotus Expeditor installation directory, browse to the storage card.
- On Nokia S60 devices, choose to install to e:\ when prompted.
When running the Lotus Expeditor Client for Devices from a removable media card, if you remove the media from the device while running, the Expeditor client will exit.
Note: File read/write times to a storage card are typically slower than to a device's internal program storage. Installing Expeditor to a storage card is a trade off between saving space on internal program storage and experiencing slower application load/run times.
Note: After installing to a Nokia phone, you need to run an Initialize program to create Expeditor program shortcuts. Press 'Menu', then enter the 'Lotus Expeditor' folder and click on 'Initialize'.
Note: If you are migrating from an older version of Expeditor, features in your workspace are not automatically updated. If you install new versions of features in your workspace, you will have to manually remove the older versions using Application Manager or Enterprise Management.
Installing Lotus Expeditor applications on a device
There are three ways in which you can install applications that run on the Lotus Expeditor Client onto your device. The method you choose depends on how your Client will be managed.
- Enterprise Managed Clients: Your administrator remotely manages your device. In this case applications are automatically deployed to your device. When an application is installed on your device, you might see a popup message informing you to restart Lotus Expeditor.
- Remote Update Site: You can use the Application Manager to browse remote update sites and install applications from these sites.
- Local Update Site: You can use the Application Manager to view an update site on a storage card or locally on your device,
Applications running concurrently in Lotus Expeditor share the Expeditor environment. The first application that you run in Lotus Expeditor might take longer to open than subsequent applications. Subsequent concurrent applications will launch faster because the Expeditor environment is already running.
Note: Expeditor application icons in the Lotus Expeditor folder might default to a generic program icon due to certain platform limitations.
To install an application using the Application Manager
- Open the Application Manager application.
- Select Install New Applications/Features. The installation wizard is displayed.
- Select the update site from which you want to install the application. Select Next. The Select features to install screen is displayed.
- Select the applications or features you want to install and select Next.
- Review the license terms for the selected features. If the terms of the license are acceptable, select "I accept the terms of the license agreements". The installation starts.
- After installation completes, a message is displayed that confirms that the installation is complete. Click OK.
When installing applications or features, the Free Space indicator does not automatically refresh. Therefore, if you switch away from Application Manager to delete files to make more room in the file system, the Free Space indicator will not update to reflect the change.
Note: When installing, features, you may be prompted to close or restart the Expeditor environment. Generally, you will not be prompted when installing a brand new feature, but some types of features do require a restart to work properly and so you should allow the restart when prompted after an install operation. When performing multiple update or uninstall operations, you may wish to ignore the restart prompt until the last operation has completed. Then your new fully configured environment can be started and used.
Installing and configuring the eSWT demo application
The eSWT demo application contains a number of showcases that show eSWT widgets, both alone, and combined to form some simple application functionality. The information provided in this section will give you the steps you need to install and set up the eSWT demo application on Windows® devices.
To install the eSWT demo application
- Browse the installation DVD to find the CD_installation_directory\updates\Device directory.
- Copy this folder either to the My Documents folder on the device or a storage card.
- Create a new site location:
- Launch Application Manager by clicking Start > Programs > Lotus Expeditor > Application Manager.
- Click on Install New Applications/Features and close the hint popup.
- Click on Command > Add Location.
- Select Local and click Next.
- Select the site.xml file that is in the update site folder you copied in Step 2.
- Click Finish.
- Search location and install:
- Check the newly created bookmark and click Next.
- Expand the feature tree.
- Check Samples and click Next.
- Select one of the license acceptance statements and click Next.
- After the installation completes, you will see the eSWT demo icon display in the Lotus Expeditor folder.
Open the demo by selecting eSWT Demo App
from your list of installed applications on the device. Click any of the showcases listed. Some of them show just widgets. Others show widgets being combined to form some simple application functionality. Return to the main list of showcases by clicking Command > Back to Menu
You can return to the main list of showcases from any showcase. The source code for the eSWT Demo is available separately.
Migrating the Device Runtime
In Expeditor Client for Devices versions 6.1.x, the workspace is always in the device's root directory. In later versions, the workspace is in the same directory as the Expeditor core installation. This means that if you are migrating from 6.1.x and installing Expeditor to a storage card, your workspace directory will be moved.
Launching Lotus Expeditor applications
Depending on your device, you can launch Expeditor applications in one of several ways:
- Windows Mobile Pro and WinCE devices: Select Start > Programs > Lotus Expeditor.
- Windows Mobile Standard devices: Select Start > Lotus Expeditor.
- Nokia S60: Select Menu > Lotus Expeditor.
You can uninstall Lotus Expeditor Client from a device.
For Windows Mobile devices, if you installed using a setup.exe file, connect your device using ActiveSync and uninstall by running the setup.exe again, choosing to remove the Lotus Expeditor Client. If you installed from a storage card or Web site, then on your device select Start -
Remove Programs. Select IBM Lotus Expeditor Client and tap Remove. Do not remove workspace data if you want to retain applications and device registration information.
For WinCE devices, if you installed using a setup.exe file, connect your device using ActiveSync and uninstall by running the setup.exe again, choosing to remove the Lotus Expeditor Client. If you installed from a storage card or Web site, then on your device select Start -
Control Panel -
Remove Programs. Select IBM Lotus Expeditor Client from the list of applications. Do not remove workspace data if you want to retain applications and device registration information.
For Nokia devices, select Menu > Applications > App. mgr. > Installed apps > Lotus Expeditor, then press the Uninstall button. When prompted if you want to remove your workspace, press either Yes or No. Do not remove workspace data if you want to retain applications and device registration information. Note that if you have Expeditor Autostart enabled, you first need to disable Autostart and reboot the phone before uninstalling Expeditor.
Resources available on the Web