Wizards are available to power users for all widget creation tasks. Click the Getting Started with Widgets
toolbar button to begin.
When you first open the My Widgets sidebar panel, and if there are no widgets in the panel, introductory text appears in the My Widgets sidebar panel to guide you through the process of creating your first widget. Otherwise, you can begin creating widgets by clicking either the Getting Started with Widgets
or Configure a Widget from Current Context
toolbar buttons. If you are just getting started with creating widgets, click Getting Started with Widgets
You can configure a widget from any of the following contexts as listed in the user interface:
- Web page
- Google Gadgets
Click Getting Started with Widgets
or select either Get Started
or Configure a Component from
from the My Widgets options menu.
You can also install widgets using XML extensions obtained from a file server. Once you have added widgets to the My Widgets sidebar panel you can export them and add them to the catalog to be provisioned to various users.
The general process for configuring a new widget is as follows:
- Click Getting Started with Widgets. After reading the explanatory text, choose one of the three options to configure a new widget based on a Web page, Feed, or Google Gadget and do as instructed by the wizard text. Alternatively, click Configuring a Component from on the My Widgets options menu.
- Use the wizard prompts and fields to configure the new widget.
- Test the new widget.
- Export the widget and add it to the catalog on the designated server. Specify a widget name, categories to associate with the tool, a brief description of the widget, and any details you want others to view.
- Start the widget configuration wizard.
Click Getting Started with Widgets and choose one of the available widget contexts to start the correct wizard. Once you have obtained the context, the widget configuration wizard steps you through the process.
- Test the new widget, as prompted by the wizard, to ensure that it is correct and that you are ready to share it with others.
- Share the widget with others.
You can make widgets available to others in several ways. As a reminder, end users may not have the authority to create or edit widgets but they can use the widget actions that you make available to them. Based on preference, they may also be restricted as to which types of widgets they can use.
To share the widget with others you can export the widget by selecting the widget and choosing Export...
in the My Widgets' options menu. After exporting the widget, you can add it to the catalog using your Notes® or Administrator client.
Configuring a new Web page widget: XPD621
You can configure a new widget that performs an action using a single form on a specific Web page, or you can create a widget that can perform one or more actions based on an overall Web page. You can optionally require that the user authenticate before using the Web page action.
Configuring a new Google Gadget widget: XPD621
To start the configuration wizard to create a new Google Gadget widget, click the Getting Started with Widgets
toolbar button. Use this method to easily browse a gadget directory and find the needed gadget.
Configuring a new Feed widget: XPD621
You can configure a new widget that will search for a given feed and return the results of that search in a specified display window such as the sidebar.
Parent topic: Creating and publishing widgets: XPD621