You can create a widget to assist in managing the features and capabilities existent on your IBM® Lotus® Expeditor client system, based on specific user preferences and widget category settings.
This task assumes that you have already created the extension.xml file that you will attach to the widget.
If you are creating standard widgets for gadget-like purposes, such as Google Gadget, Feeds, or Web-based widgets, power users will use the widget configuration wizards available in the client in both the My Widgets sidebar and the Widgets toolbar; do not manually create them in the catalog as will be discussed in this topic. You can display these user interface items by clicking File - Preferences - Widgets and enabling the Show Widget toolbar and the My Widgets sidebar panel.
- Open the widgets catalog from the My Widgets sidebar panel by clicking Catalog - Browse in the My Widgets options menu.
The next few steps will be done in the widget catalog as you create the widget that you'll use to provision your feature to users.
- Create the widget:
- In the widget catalog, click the All Widgets view option.
- Click Add Widget to Catalog.
- Enter a widget title, for example "FeatureABX" in the Title field.
- Click Category and select a existing or type a new category name, for example widgetsforyou.
- Click Platform and select all that apply.
- For view sorting purposes, click Plugin and Features.
- In the Description field, enter a brief descriptor, such as "Provision featureabx starting on <todays_date>..."
- Click Attach and select the extension.xml file that you created earlier and that the widget will use to locate and install or update the feature.
- Click Save and Close.
- Power users should test the widget by dragging it to the My Widgets sidebar.
This should initiate the plug-in deployment process and install the plug-in.
Parent topic: Configuring Widgets and creating the catalog: XPD621