The Client Management server working with the Enterprise Management Agent on the client can update individual properties present in Java properties style files.
This allows for individual property updates to be distributed to multiple clients, without having to do a wholesale file replacement, which could result in incorrect settings being propagated to clients.
Files to be managed must be able to be processed as if they are ordinary Java properties files and be read and handled by the Java java.util.Properties class. Keys that contain characters that are not typically replaced in HTTP URI handling, such as the back slash (\) or plus sign (+), will be escaped using typical escape notation of using %xx
is the hex value of the character. When they are displayed on the client management server, the escaped formatting characters will be displayed.
The platform enables four files for management by default. These files are the rcpinstall.properties and config.ini in the configuration directory and the rcplauncher.properties and plugin_customization.ini in the <installdir
To enable additional properties files to be updated, you must first register them with the platform. To register a new properties file, add a new extension to the com.ibm.rcp.props.dm.managedFile extension point. To do so, follow these steps:
- If you have an existing project to which you want to add this extension point, go to step 3.
- Create a new project to contain the extension:
- Create a new client services (or plug-in) project.
- If you intend to add code to the this project, leave the default settings. If you do not intend to add code to this project, clear the Create Java Project option on the dialog page.
- Go to the Extensions page in the Plug-in Manifest Editor for this project.
- Click Add.
- Clear the option Show only extension points from the required plug-ins.
- Enter com.ibm.rcp.props.dm.managedFile as the Extension Point filter. Select this extension point and click Finish.
- Optionally, add com.ibm.rcp.props.dm as a required bundle for project.
- Optionally, fill in the ID and Name fields in the Extension Point details.
- Select the extension that you have just added, right-click, then select New -> managedFile.
- In the extension details, complete the following details:
- In the file field, enter the location of the file. You can use variables in the location that will be replaced during runtime execution. Refer to the extension point documentation for more information. From the extension point, you can right-click, then select Show Description to display the description.
- In the name field, enter a name to identify this file. This can be the same as the file name, or you can use an alias to represent the file. This name is used during operations performed at the Client Management server.
- Save the file contents.
You can continue to add code to this plug-in just as with any other plug-in. Deployment of this plug-in follows the standard patterns. See Packaging applications for deployment
for more information.
Once the feature containing this plug-in has been deployed to the client, you can then initiate job requests from a Client Management server. See Managing properties files
for more information.
Parent topic: Extending the platform: XPD621