Preconditions before you upgradeAdded by IBM on October 4, 2010 | Version 1 (Original)
|Ensure that the following requirements are met before upgrading Expeditor desktop clients.
Ensure that the following requirements are met before upgrading Expeditor desktop clients.
- Expeditor Client for Desktop 6.1.1 with no fix pack (126.96.36.199) or Expeditor Client for Desktop 6.1.1 with Fix Pack 3 (188.8.131.52) or higher must be installed.
- Expeditor Client must be configured to be managed by Client Management Services.
- The client install image is available locally on the desktop client. The delivery of the client install image to the desktop client is outside the scope of this document. It is recommended to place the client install image on a well-known network share. The advantage here is that no files are delivered to the client before running the installation. The risk in using this method is the potential for network outage and bandwidth issues while running the installation from a remote share.
- For multi-user clients, the upgrade should be targeted only for the user who originally installed the client. Ensure that no other users are logged on the Expeditor Client when the upgrade is run.
- For Ubuntu, you cannot log in as root. As a result, you must perform the installation using the Sudo utility. Sudo allows a system administrator to delegate authority to give certain users (or groups of users) the ability to run some (or all) commands as root or another user while providing an audit trail of the commands and their arguments. You will need to enter your password to run the Sudo utility. To bypass the password prompt, you must edit the "sudoers" file, which lists the permissions for each user on the system. To do this, enter sudo visudo. You must edit the sudoers file using the Sudo utility. At the end of the file, add a line similar to the following:
xpduser ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/dpkg
This allows "xpduser
" to bypass the password prompt when using the dpkg installer utility for upgrading. The user can now execute the script and begin a silent installation.
Parent topic: Upgrading an Expeditor desktop client with Client Management services: XPD621