The DesktopEE VM is the default VM installed with the Expeditor Desktop Client. The DesktopEE VM is an IBM-optimized subset of Java 5 that offers a smaller footprint and faster class loading than a standard JRE.
If a full J2SE VM is required, this is provided with the Device Runtime Environment (DRE) that is available as a separate product. The DRE contains the J2SE Core JVM Feature, that provides the Java 2 SE 6.0 VM capabilities. Despite its name, the DRE J2SE feature is not available for Lotus Expeditor Client for Devices.
In Lotus Expeditor v6.2, the J2SE VM only needs to be installed in the Client, not the Toolkit. The J2SE VM can be installed into the Expeditor Client using the provided Update Site. This is found in the Client DRE software location, in directory
To install the DRE components:
- Start the Expeditor Client
- Select File -> Application -> Install
- Select Search for new features to install.
- Select Next
- Select Add Folder Location
- Select the updates\client directory and select OK
- Select Finish.
- Select the Core JVM Feature and the WebSphere MQ Classes for JMS Feature (this will be needed later)
- Accept the licence, select Next and Finish.
Once the features are installed, restart the Client. As each VM has a separate KeyStore, you are prompted to create a new password for the new KeyStore.
To check which VM is currently in use by the Expeditor Client:
- From the Expeditor Client menu bar, select File -> Application -> Application Management
- Expand the section C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Expeditor\rcp\eclipse.
- Find the Core JVM Feature -> J2SE
- Right click and select Replace with -> Another Version
This method can be used to switch back to the DesktopEE VM if required:
Leave the J2SE VM as the configured VM for now.
To configure the Eclipse Toolkit to use the new J2SE VM, open the Eclipse Toolkit, select Window -> Preferences -> Client Services
, and select Configure
An additional J2SE VM option is available: com.ibm.rcp.j2se.win32.x86.
Select it, and the Compiler Compliance Level set to 1.6.
to reload the Target location. The existing projects are recompiled against the J2SE VM. The Launch configuration has been updated with the J2SE VM. Test the micro broker plug-ins against the new VM.