To create a feature, use the Plug-in Development Environment within Eclipse or the Rational® Software Development platform.
Prior to creating a feature, you should have the plug-ins and fragments that will be contained within the feature:
- From your workspace, select File -> New -> Project -> Plug-in Development -> Feature Project
- Enter the project name. This is typically the same name as the feature ID.
- Enter the Feature ID, Feature Name, and Feature Version. The Feature Provider and Install Handler Library are optional.
- Select Next.
- Select the plug-ins and fragments that you want to add to the feature. If you do not want to enter them at this time, you can select Finish now, and add plug-ins and fragments later using the editor.
- The editor opens. Use the editor tabs to specify additional information:
Enter feature descriptive information and supported environments.Information
Enter description, license, copyright, and other update sites to visit.Plug-ins
Enter the plug-ins and fragments that should be packaged, as well as supported environment information if needed.Include Features
Enter the additional features to include, as well as supported environment information if needed.Dependencies
Enter any dependency information that must be met before the feature will install.Installation
Enter information such as install handler and other data files.Build
Select the files that will be packaged into the feature.
- Save the contents of the editor.
Refer to the Platform Plug-in Developers Guide
and to Eclipse ( http://help.eclipse.org/help32/index.jsp
) for more information on using the feature editor.
Specifying optional child features
The feature manifest (feature.xml) enables the definition of included features. Included features define a parent-child relationship for features, such that actions on the parent apply also to the child. For example, if the parent is installed, the child is also installed. An included feature may be marked as optional. This would enable a parent to be installed without some of the optional child features.
When the Lotus® Expeditor platform installs a new feature, all optional children of the feature, if they are available on the update sites specified during the install operation, will be installed.
Parent topic: Packaging applications for deployment: XPD622