This section describes how to install Web Start support on the client.
Installing Web Start support for Client Services applications on the client consists of the following three steps:
- Configure the Lotus® Expeditor Client for Web Start support.
- Configure the browser for Web Start support.
- Configure the client for Web Start support.
It is important to apply these steps whenever the Lotus Expeditor Client is re-installed or updated.
Configuring the Lotus Expeditor Client
To properly configure Lotus Expeditor Client for Web Start support, perform the following steps:
- Install the Lotus Expeditor Client.
- Install the Lotus Expeditor Runtimes DRE feature. The DRE provides J2SE support required for running applications through Web Start.
- Copy the rcpbootcp.jar to the J2SE lib/ext directory.
- The rcpbootcp.jar can be found in the com.ibm.rcp.base plug-in at: <Expeditor_Install
- Copy rcpbootcp.jar to the following directory:
On Windows®: On Linux®:
Depending on the IBM® Lotus Expeditor capabilities required by your Web Start applications, additional updates to the environment might be needed on Linux:
- To support the Expeditor managed browser, set MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME to the appropriate Mozilla browser directory in /usr/lib. See ditatopicnotfound for information on locating this directory on your system. For example:
- If applications will be using DB2e, add the following location to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable:
- If applications will be using ISync, add the following location to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable:
In the above paths, <Expeditor>
is the install location of the Expeditor runtime and <version>
is the version of the plug-in.
Configuring the browser
To configure the browser, you must install the Java 1.5 JRE on the client using the Java install program. The installation program for the JRE contains the logic to update the system and associate Java and Web Start with the browsers.
Once the Java JRE has been installed, configure Web Start to reference the Expeditor platform J2SE as follows:
- Open the Java Control Panel. On Windows, this can be found in the Windows Control Panel. On Linux, run application ControlPanel, found in jre/bin of the Java home directory.
- On the Java tab, click View for the Java Application Runtime Settings.
The JNLP Runtime Settings page is displayed.
- On the User tab, click the Find button and browse to the Lotus Expeditor Runtimes DRE install location. This will be at the following location:
- Continue clicking Next until finished.
- Uncheck all other JREs listed on the JNLP Runtime Settings page except for the Expeditor platform DRE.
- Click OK.
Configuring the client
To configure the Client Services Web Start support, create a configuration file that specifies where the IBM Lotus Expeditor platform is located on the client. This configuration file allows multiple IBM Lotus Expeditor -based platforms to be supported on a client machine. The configuration is an xml file with root element <webstart> and one or more <platform> elements. Each <platform> element specifies the location and optional version of a IBM Lotus Expeditor platform on the client. The following is an example of a simple configuration specifying a single IBM Lotus Expeditor platform:
Set the environment variable RCP_JNLP_LAUNCH_CONFIG to the location of this configuration file.
Parent topic: Deploying applications through Web Start: XPD622