The Servlet post client notification mechanism is considered to be a proof of concept implementation due to the many limitations associated with using this mechanism.
Known limitations are as follows:
- If the client is connecting through a Network Address Translation (NAT) router, it will not work.
- If the client has not connected to the management server at least once since it started, it will not work.
- If the client has a firewall that prevents inbound connections, it will not work.
- If the IP address that is used to connect to the management server is different from the IP address that the servlet is listening on, it will not work.
- If the client is not started, it will not work.
The notification mechanism will also not work on a device that is connected to a computer with Microsoft® ActiveSync and shares the IP address of the computer to which it is connected. When the server attempts to notify the device, the computer is not listening on that port, so the notify request will fail. To make notification work, the device must have its own IP address.
Parent topic: Enabling notification: XPD622