Running a command on a clientAdded by IBM on September 9, 2010 | Version 1 (Original)
|Use the Run Command task to run a command on one or more clients. A run command task is an available action on the Clients view.
Use the Run Command
task to run a command on one or more clients. A run command task is an available action on the Clients view.
- Select Expeditor Client Management -> Clients.
- Optional: Select one or more clients. You will be able to select additional clients in a later step including targeting a filter.
- Select Run Command from the list of actions and click Go.
- Select the task type. See Managing tasks for more information on task types. Click Next.
- Enter the command string to execute on the client. Select options and click Next. The following options are available:
Type the fully-qualified command string that you want to run on the target clients. For example, type c:\winnt\system32\ipconfig
- You cannot use double quotes for the command string. For example, /bin/sh -c "java -version" returns an error.
If you invoke the system command executable file as part of the command (for example, c:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe
), you must specify the /C
option or the task does not complete.
Select this check box to save return codes, standard input, and standard output messages in the database so that it can be retrieved later. Only output that the command issues to standard output or standard error on the client is saved. Fail task on non-zero return code from command
Select this check box to fail the task run on the client if the return code is non-zero. If this check box is not selected, the task reports success, even if the command fails.
Note: Some commands use non-zero return codes to indicate a successful condition.
- Update the target client queue if needed. You can target filters from this panel. See Targeting tasks for more information. Click Next when complete.
- Set the task options and click Create Task. See Managing tasks for more information on task options.
Once the task is created you can view the task status and monitor its progress. See Monitoring task progress
for more information.
Extending the Run command: XPD622
You can extend the Expeditor client runtime by allowing client code to get invoked when the client receives a certain command to run.
Parent topic: Managing with a Client Management server: XPD622
Managing clients: XPD622
Submitted tasks: XPD622
Pending tasks: XPD622