Configuring a new Google Gadget widgetAdded by IBM on October 5, 2011 | Version 1 (Original)
|You can easily browse a gadget directory and find the a gadget from which to create a widget.
You can easily browse a gadget directory and find the a gadget from which to create a widget.
Parent topic: Configuring widgets using the wizards
- Click the Getting Started with Widgets toolbar button to start the wizard.
- Click Google Gadgets and then click Next.
- Click Browse the Google Gadget directory, read the explanatory text, and then click Finish to open and browse the site. This opens the Google Gadget directory, which you can search to find a variety of gadgets.
- Navigate to the page for the gadget you want, and then click the Configure a Widget from Current Context toolbar button, click Google Gadget, and click Next.
- Click Google Gadget from the Configure a Component from this Web site dialog.
- Read the terms of service panel text and then click Next.
- Specify a short, descriptive component name or accept the default.
- In the component settings area, specify an ID and display name, if a default value is required, and optionally a default name.
Depending on your source, there can be several widget setting IDs.
This is the field ID name obtained from the source Web site form; for example, zip. When you check items in the ID column, default values may appear in some or all of the remaining widget fields in that row.Display name
Use an optional name to describe the ID, such as Zip Code. Required
Specify whether this field must be used. For example, a zip code might be required, but the exact address might be optional. Default value
Optionally specify a default value to use with this component. This can equate to an ENUM value from a list of enumerated values allowed for this field in the given web form. For example, to display your local weather whenever you open a weather gadget, enter your zip code in this field. Edit
Click edit to add additional default values.
- Specify what you want to do with the component now; the options are as below.
Display as a sidebar panel
This adds the component as its own sidebar panel, not as a widget in the My Widgets sidebar panel. If you choose this option, the Test and Publish panel appears describing what you should do next. Read and then click Finish to exit the wizard and add the widget to your sidebar. Just configure a component for now
This adds the component to the My Widgets sidebar panel. If you choose this option, the Test and Publish panel appears describing what you should do next. Read and then click Finish to exit the wizard and add the widget to your sidebar.
- Read the Test and Publish panel and then click Finish to add the widget and close the wizard.
Google Gadget widget fields and language internationalization
When you configure a Google Gadget widget using Widgets, the default component name and property display names are localized properly such that when you run Expeditor, for example, in another locale, those names appear in the language of the active locale.