To set up the Translator server:
1. Install WebSphere Application Server
For detailed installation instructions, see Installing WebSphere® Application Server
in the WebSphere Application Server information center
2. Install Webform Server
- Reboot the server immediately before installing Webform Server.
- Copy the db2jcc.jar DB2® driver from the data server to the Translator server.
- Insert the Lotus® Forms Server for Windows® CD.
- Run the installer LFServer_30x_WebformServer_Win32.exe.
- Click Next.
- Click I accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next.
- Click Next to accept the default installation directory.
- Select the following Webform Server components:
Select Typical installation and click Next.
Select Deploy to WebSphere Application Server and click Next.
Select DB2 and enter the database information:
- Log Server
- Shared File Cache
Enter the install location for WebSphere® Application Server on the Translator server and click Next.
Enter the Translator deployment details:
- Database name
- Host IP and port
- Username and password
- Location of the db2jcc.jar DB2 driver on the Translator server
- Profile – Ensure that the profile name is correct for your WebSphere Application Server configuration on the Translator server.
- Cell – Ensure that the cell name is correct for your WebSphere Application Server configuration on the Translator server.
- Node – Ensure that the node name is correct for your WebSphere Application Server configuration on the Translator server.
- Server Name – Enter the name that you want to use for the Translator server (for example, TranslatorServer).
- Application Name – Enter the name that you want to use for the Translator application (for example, TranslatorApp).
For more information on installing Lotus Forms Server - Webform Server, see Installing Webform Server
in the Lotus Forms information center
3. Configure the Translator
1. Open the translator.properties file in a text editor.
2. Set the fcCacheSize to 100. This represents the maximum number of simultaneous users that the Translator can host at maximum performance. Use the default settings for all other properties.
3. Save the file.
The fcCacheSize setting was calculated as follows:
1. The Translator server has 4 GB of RAM. By default, Windows® reserves 2 GB for kernel usage and 2 GB for application usage. The JVM uses approximately 0.5 GB of memory, but this may vary up to 0.75 GB, leaving 1.25 GB of memory for the Translator to cache form instances.
2. The form is 8 MB in memory: 1.25 GB / 8 MB = 156 To allow a margin of safety, set the fcCacheSize to a slightly smaller value, for example, 100. The overall system can therefore host up to 100 simultaneous users at maximum performance. This is greater than the number of people in the department (approximately 50).
For more information on configuring the Translator, see Translator Properties
in the Lotus® Forms information center
Back to: Setting up the servers