Adding a dropdown listAdded by IBM on May 2, 2012 | Version 1 (Original)
|Next, you will create a dropdown list to present choices to the user. This list is a single row in height until selected, at which point a list of choices "drops down" for the user is displayed.
Next, you will create a dropdown list to present choices to the user. This list is a single row in height until selected, at which point a list of choices "drops down"
for the user is displayed.
The user can then select one of the choices. For the tutorial form, you will create a list of airline names as shown in the diagram below.
- In the Palette, click Text Label.
- Click the canvas, below the Section B: Travel Information title and line, to insert this label.
- In the Properties window, type Airline Name: in the Text area.
- Click OK to apply the text change and close the Properties window.
- Align the Airline Name: label with the Phone Number: label in Section A: Client information.
- In the Palette, click Dropdown List. Click the canvas beside the Airline Name: label to insert the dropdown.
- When the Properties window opens, you are in the Choices tab. Click Rename and rename the list to Airline Choices.
- Click OK to save the new list name.
- Click Edit item here to add an airline name to the list.
- Add the following airlines to the list:
- Continental Airlines
- United Airlines
- Hawaiian Airlines
Tip: Press Enter to move to the next line in the list.
Click the Label tab located to the right of the Choices tab.
Type Select an airline into the Text field.
Click OK to save the list of airlines.
Align the Select an Airline dropdown list to the Phone Number: field in Section A: Client Information.
Click File -> Save.
Click the Viewer tab to preview your work.
Test the drop down list to confirm the results. Click Select an airline and select an airline. Press Tab on your keyboard. The list item you choose is displayed in the drop down.
Click the Design tab to return to designing your form.
Parent topic: Tutorial: Creating a simple form