Changing the tab order of items on a pageAdded by IBM on January 17, 2014 | Version 1 (Original)
|To make tabbing forward and backward from one item to another easy for a user, you need to set the tab order of items in your form.
Ensure that no items on the form are selected. If an item is selected, the Show Next Tab Order
option is not available from the menu.
To change the tab order of items on a page:
- Click View -> Show Next Tab Order.
Lines connect each item on the page with arrows indicating the tab order:
- Grey lines indicate the default tab order between items.
- Blue lines indicate a user-defined tab order between items.
- Red lines indicate an error.
- Dashed line indicates the implied tab order connections
- For advanced users: Light blue lines indicate the tab order is based on the first or last option of the item’s parent, and not the next or previous option of the item.
The Connection Creation
button is also displayed in the Palette.
- Click Connection Creation.
- Click the item that you want to be first in the tab order (that is, the item that will receive focus when the page is opened first).
- Click the item that you want to be second in the tab order.
A blue line connects the items, indicating the user-defined tab order between them.
- Continue clicking pairs of items to define the tab order between them. By default, when you set up a user-defined tab order, the corresponding previous tab order is automatically set up.
- If you want to modify tab order connections directly, click Select in the Palette and click the line connecting the items to select the connection. Handles (black squares) appear at each end of the connection. Drag a handle from one item to another to modify the connection.
- If you want to delete a tab order connection between two items, click Select in the Palette and click the line connecting the items to select the connection. Then press Delete.
Click View -> Show Previous Tab Order.
Tab order is also available as a button in the toolbar. When you click on the downward pointing arrow, you'll see options of: Show Tab Order, Show Previous Tab Order, and Hide Tab Order.
Click View -> Hide Tab Order to hide the tab order lines.
- If you want change the tab order, repeat steps 2 through 5.
The Connection Creation button also no longer displayed in the Palette.
Parent topic: Tab order