When setting rules on Number or Currency form items, you must set the default value of the form item to zero. If the Number or Currency form item is blank, it does not default to zero, and any rule you set will not work properly. To set the value to zero, type "0"
in the field when designing the form.
In a stage, you can build two approval buttons that appear identical, but send the user to a different page or stage. Which button appears to the user is determined by information the user enters, and the rules set on the form. To use the following instructions you must have stages created for your form. The instructions describe how to use rules and stages to create a button that provides multiple functionality for form designers away from the visual display to a user. The Submit button requests different information from users based on whether they make more or less than $30,000.
- Click the Stages tab.
- Open the Properties window for the Submit button of the Start stage.
- Click the Rules tab.
- From the menu beside "This item is", select hidden.
The are met option is selected by default and does not need to be changed for this example.
- Click Add Condition.
- In the "Where" menu, select Salary.
- Set the operation to Less than.
- Type 30000 in the blank field to the right of the Value menu.
- Click OK to save your changes and close the Properties window.
The rule is now set so users will not see the submit button if they makes less that $30,000.
- At the bottom of the form, click the Duplicate Action icon for the Submit button.
A duplicate Submit button appears to the right of the original.
- Click the Properties icon for the duplicate Submit button. Remove "(Copy)" from the Title: field.
- Follow steps 3 through 9, but set the operation to Greater than or equals.
The form developer sees two different buttons that perform two different actions. When you preview the form, only one Submit button appears. You can now create stages and form pages specific to the user’s salary.
Parent topic: Creating rules in your application