The Shared File Cache stores temporary files created by Webform Server while users work with forms.
When installing Webform Server, the installer prompts you for the location of the Shared File Cache. You can allow it to create the cache in the default location, or specify another location.
You can use a Windows
™ shared folder as the Shared File Cache, but the folder needs to be configured in a specific way.
The location of the Shared File Cache differs based on your Webform Server set up:
Parent topic: Before installing
- For development and evaluation purposes, the default location is adequate when all components are installed on a single machine.
- In a distributed environment, the Shared File Cache is on the same computer as the Translator.
- In a clustered environment, the Shared File Cache is on its own machine and must be accessible from all of the Translator servers in the cluster. The Shared File Cache should be managed by a single database.
- In a production environment, the Shared File Cache must be on a partition with at least 20 GB of free space. The amount of space required varies, based on the following factors:
- Larger forms require more space as their temporary files are larger.
- More concurrent users require additional space as multiple temporary files are created.
- Longer times for completing forms require additional space as temporary files are on the disk for longer periods of time.
- Less frequent cache cleaning requires additional space as temporary files are on the disk for longer periods of time.