Once a form is completed, it is typically submitted for processing. Webform Server translates the form back into XFDL before passing it to the correct application, such as a workflow or a database, as shown:
Parent topic: Form operations
- The user submits the form to the portlet/servlet. Since the form is HTML, the submission consists of tag-value pairs.
- The portlet/servlet receives the form and sends it to the Translator.
- The Translator receives the submission, matches it to a previously cached XFDL form using certain metadata, and then maps the tag-value pairs of the HTML submission to the XFDL form. The Translator then passes the completed XFDL form to the portlet/servlet.
- The portlet/servlet passes the XFDL form to the intended application.
- The application generates a response and sends it back to the servlet/portlet.
- The servlet/portlet forwards the response to the user.