Troubleshooting browser issuesAdded by IBM on July 25, 2013 | Version 1 (Original)
Users may encounter the following issues:
Parent topic: Troubleshooting the installation
Troubleshooting user errors
Troubleshooting server errors
Troubleshooting database errors
Troubleshooting Portal errors
- Due to default settings in Internet Explorer, printed Web pages (including forms) display the URL of the Web pages in the footer.
If the URL is longer than the width of the page, it appears to be truncated.
To prevent the URL from printing, make the following adjustments to users' computers:
- Open their Internet Explorer browser.
- From the File menu, select Page Setup.
- Under Footer, delete the &u characters.
- Click OK.
If you want to prevent the printing of all header and footer information, delete all of the characters in both the Header and Footer fields.
- The following features depend on pop-ups:
- saving a form
- printing a form
- displaying or extracting attachments
To ensure that these features work correctly, make sure that users configure their browsers to accept pop-ups from your site.
- Users who configure their computer to display large-sized fonts (instead of system standard-sized fonts), may find that tiny dots appear when a form is displayed. Users can avoid the appearance of these dots by selecting a standard system font size.
- If you change the filename while saving a form to disk, Webform Server will not preserve the changed filename the next time you save the form.
- Using anything other than the standard Windows™ desktop scheme may affect the sizing of some items in your form. This occurs because different schemes use different widths for scroll bars on items. To ensure proper sizing, use the Standard Windows desktop scheme, or adjust the scroll bar width to 16.
Under Windows XP, you can adjust the scroll bar width by right-clicking the Desktop, and selecting Properties -> Appearance -> Advanced -> Scrollbars.
- If you uninstall the Viewer and then attempt to open a form as XFDL (rather than HTML), you may encounter an error informing you that Internet Explorer does not know how to open the document. This occurs because the .xfd, .xfdl, and .frm extensions are still associated with the Viewer, but the Viewer is no longer available to open the form.
To correct this problem, you must delete the associations for those extensions, as follows:
- Open Windows Explorer.
- From the Tools menu, select Folder Options.
- In the Folder Options dialog box, select the File Types tab.
- Scroll through the list of extensions until you find FRM.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the XFD and XFDL extensions.
- If you are working in a portlet and you link to a document from a form, then submit the original form, you will be returned to the portal's login page.