Lotus Quickr is a flexible environment in which you can easily expand and add to your enterprise deployment. This article helps you understand the processes and best practices for moving and expanding your existing environment.
1 Moving places between Quickr servers with different versions
When moving places from one version of Quickr to another you must upgrade the places once you have moved them to the new server. To do this you need to follow the steps in Section 3 of this article as well as run some additional upgrade steps.
The upgrade steps for places are covered in the Upgrading places and Place Types
section of the IBM Lotus Quickr Version 8.1 information center. If you plan on moving places from a Quickplace server, you will need to follow the steps in the information center on Upgrading to Quickr 8.0
before upgrading your place to Lotus Quickr 8.1.
2 Staging to production from development scenario
If your environment requires you to stage all new places in a development environment before moving your places to production, you can follow the steps in Section 4 to help accomplish this task.
If, however, your environments have different naming standards for users in your directory, you'll need to rename users after moving the place to the production server. Renaming and moving users in the organization is covered in detail in Section 6 of this article.
Here are the basic steps for moving a place form a development environment to a production environment:
1. Archive the place from the development environment.
2. Unregister the place from the place catalog of the development server.
3. Copy the archived place to the Quickr data directory of the production server.
4. Unlock the place on the production server.
5. Register the place in the place catalog of the new production server.
Note that some of these steps may vary depending on your environment and processes.
3 Moving places start to finish
To move a place from a existing server to a new server, perform the following steps.
1. Archive the Quickr place on the source server, using the following qptool command:
load qptool archive -p -dir
2. After archiving the place you want to move, unregister the place from the place catalog. To do this, use the following command on the Quickr server:
load qptool unregister -p placename
3. Copy the archived place to the new server in the same directory name from the original server to the /LotusQuickr.
4. Unlock the newly copied place by issuing the following command:
load qptool unlock -p
5. Update the place catalog of the new server with the place you just moved, using this command:
load qptool register -p -install
It's recommended that, after adding a place to the place catalog of the server, you should open the catalog to verify that all the information for the places are correct. The place catalog can be accessed from the Domino Administrator client files page (see figure 1).
Figure 1. Domino AdminFiles tab
Figure 2 is an example of what a place entry in the place catalog should look like.
Figure 2. Example place entry
6. After the move is complete, use the following command to remove the old place from its original server:
load qptool remove -p placename
4 What users see after a move
After you've moved the place to its new location the users should be able to access the new place from My Places without realizing the application was moved.
If the application was moved to a new server and you are not using a single server for the place catalog, you'll need to inform users of the new server address.
To do this, use the qptool broadcast command explained in the Sending mail to place members section of the information center. If the old server from which the place was moved is no longer in service, you can use DNS to route the user's request from the old server to the new server.
5 Moving rooms, folders, and documents
5.1 Moving a room
If you want to move a room from one Quickr place to another, follow these steps (you must be the administrator and have access to the Quickr server):
1. Identify the room you want to move into a new Quickr Place.
2. Create a list of all groups and members of the place from which you are moving the room.
3. Create a list of all the rooms that you'll be moving to the new Quickr place.
4. Create a new Quickr Place.
5. Add the user names and groups that you captured on the list.
6. Shut down the Quickr server. Copy the room databases to the new Quickr Place folder.
7. Using the Lotus Notes® client on the server, open the main.nsf of the original Quickr Place and locate the room reference document (document type 3) for the top-level room that you copied. Copy these documents to the Windows clipboard.
8. Open the main.nsf of the new Quickr place. Paste the room reference documents from the clipboard. You may also open them and change the h_LocDirPath value to the new Quickr place.
9. Run the following qptool command to register the new place in the catalog:
load qptool register -p placename -install
When finished, you should see your room listed in your new Quickr place.
5.2 Moving a room within a place
You can adjust the order in which a room appears in a Quickr place menu by customizing your place. To do this, you must be a manager of the place:
1. Click the “Customize this place” link within your Quickr place (see figure 3).
Figure 3. Moving places
2. On the Customize page, select the Basics link, as shown in figure 4.
Figure 4. Basics link
After you select the Basics link, a page of basic functions displays that you can use to customize your Quickr place. Notice the “Reorder” section. You can use the green and yellow arrows (see figure 5) to move the room link up or down in order. This can be done as often as needed because the place or room is not actually moved from the server.
Figure 5. Reorder function
3. After moving the desired room link (see figure 6), select Done at the top of the basic customization page.
Figure 6. Reordered place
Figure 7 shows the Places menu after the room move has been completed.
Figure 7. Places menu
5.3 Moving a folder within a room or place
To move a folder within a place you must have at least manager access to the place:
1. Click the menu drop-down arrow next to the folder name you want to move and select Folder Options (see figure 8) .
Figure 8. Folder Options
2. Click the Move button at the top of the page, as shown in figure 9.
Figure 9. Move button
3. Now you need to select the room (see figure 10) to which you want to move the folder. You must have manager access to the room in order for the move to be successful.
Figure 10. Selecting the room
5.4 Moving documents
To move a document within a Quickr place you must have at least editor access to the place:
1. To start the move of the document, select the document library or room that contains the file you want to move (see figure 11) .
2. Next, select the menu drop-down arrow next to the file you want to move and select “Move” from the menu.
Figure 11. Moving a document
3. Select the location (see figure 12) where you want to move the document and click Next.
Figure 12. Select location
Your document is now successfully moved to the new room or folder you selected.
6 Renaming users of a place
When moving a place it is sometime necessary to rename the users of a place to fit the directory structure of the new server. Users can be renamed using the qptool command from the Quickr server via two different means.
The first is via the chngemember command, the details of which can be found in the Changing member names in places section of the information center. This command lets you rename a user within the place. For example, to change Betty Smith to Betty Jones, use the qptool command:
load qptool chngemember –sourceu Betty Smith –targetu Betty Jones
The second renaming command is the changehierarchy command. Details about this command can be found in the Changing the hierarchy of member names in places in the information center. Use this command to move places when users have changed location within the user directory of the server to which the place is being moved.
For example, if user names are in the directory hierarchy OU=people,O=demoibm and need to be moved to the OU=people2,O=demoibm, you would issue the following qptool command:
load qptool changehierarchy -sourceh OU=people,O=demoibm -targeth OU=people2,O=demoibm -p placename
This article provides administrators with the best practices for moving people, places, and things within Lotus Quickr for Domino. For more information and more in-depth command switches, refer to the Lotus Quickr Information Center.
8 About the author
Consulting I/T Specialist
Lotus Quickr Evangelist Americas