Upgrading places and PlaceTypesAdded by IBM on September 9, 2010 | Version 1 (Original)
|After you upgrade the design of databases on the server, you can use the qptool server task to upgrade places and PlaceTypes to enable the new features in them. You can upgrade them all at once or incrementally.
After you upgrade the design of databases on the server, you can use the qptool server task to upgrade places and PlaceTypes to enable the new features in them. You can upgrade them all at once or incrementally.
Keep the following points in mind about upgrading:
- Prior to upgrading places and PlaceTypes, you cannot use existing places or PlaceTypes to create new places or PlaceTypes.
- Any custom policies will be lost
- Do not modify or refresh PlaceTypes until after they are upgraded.
- When a place is upgraded, the user interface components "SiteMapLauncher" and "MyPlaces" are not added to custom themes. Place managers must add these components themselves.
- A place is locked while it is being upgraded. If you upgrade multiple places at the same time, only one place is locked at a time.
- The qptool upgrade -server command upgrades server-related databases and settings, and the other upgrade commands ( qptool upgrade -p placename and qptool upgrade -a) upgrade places and custom place types.
- To log server activities related to upgrading places and PlaceTypes, use the notes.ini setting QuickPlaceUpgradeLogging=value, where value is a number from 1 to 4. Enable upgrade logging only temporarily to aid in troubleshooting.
- When upgrading all places at once you need to carefully review the output to ensure that the upgrade has completed successfully for every place. If the upgrade stops at a particular place or error messages are issued for a particular place you need to:
- Restore the place from a backup.
- Correct any problems reported.
- Run the upgrade for that one place. The reason for this is that during the first upgrade attempt some processing may have been done that can cause the remaining processing not to be attempted if another upgrade for that place is attempted.
Parent topic: Completing the upgrade: qd85