Create or edit a document typeAdded by IBM on June 11, 2010 | Version 1 (Original)
|Use document types to associate properties and templates with documents.
Use document types to associate properties and templates with documents.
You must meet these criteria to create or edit a document type:
- To create a document type, you must be a member of the wpsContentAdministrators group.
- To edit a local document type, you must have the Manager role in the library.
By assigning a document type to documents, you can customize the content and behavior of documents in a library. The document type associates fields of custom information with any document in a library. When a document is created or edited, and a document type is assigned to the document, the fields of information in the document type become associated with the document. These pieces of information can be searched or used to create custom views containing sets of documents that share common characteristics. A document type defines the rules for publishing documents by enabling draft approval processes. In addition, using a document type, you can control how and when documents are versioned. Document types are a useful tool to help you organize and retrieve documents.
To create a new document type:
- Click Manage Library -> Manage Library Elements -> Document Types. By default, any local document types already created in the library are displayed in a list in the Manage Document Types screen.
- Click Create Document Type.
- In the title field, enter a title or label for the document type. The title field is required. You can further customize the document type by entering additional, optional information, such as a description, or by using the options, such as workflow and version, that are provided in the New Document Type screen.
- Click on Create a new property sheet, or choose an existing property sheet. The property sheet provides additional fields of information to create a customized document type.
- If you are creating a new property sheet, enter a title for the new property sheet.
- To add information fields to the property sheet, click on the field name in the Add Fields box on the right side of the screen. When adding a person field to a property sheet, you must designate a document library user as the default person.
- Click Create to save the new property sheet. Once the new property sheet is saved, or an existing property sheet selected, the New Document type screen reappears.
- Click Create to save the new document type. The property sheet information is now associated with the document type. When you create a new document and assign the document type, the property sheet fields are also associated with the document.
To edit an existing document type:
- Click Manage Library -> Manage Library elements.
- Click Document Types.
- Locate the name of the document type you wish to edit. If the document type name is not visible, click Show All and then scroll through the alphabetical list of names, or enter the document type name in the Search field and press Enter.
- Click on the document type name.
- Use the fields and options on the Edit Document Type screen to modify the document type. To change to a different property sheet, click Remove, then click Add an existing property sheet to select a different property sheet.
- Click Update to save the modified document type.
Parent topic: Understanding document templates types and propety sheets: qp85