Create and deploy a custom theme or skin for your server.
Themes and skins control the look and feel of a place. Themes are a set of JSPs, images, and style sheets packaged together in a common directory structure. Skins represent the border rendering around components. In addition to themes and skins, use Customize
-> Change Layout
to control the layout of containers and Customize
-> Change Style
to change the color palette of your place.
The best practice is to package themes and skins in an EAR file so that they are untouched across migrations and updates. This ensures that your customization will not be overwritten when applying future fixes to the server. In addition, deploying updates to themes and skins in separate EAR files can be done easily without having to bring the server offline, particularly in clustered deployments.
In IBM® Lotus® Quickr™ for WebSphere Portal, the default themes and skins are deployed in an EAR file. To create a custom theme or skin, copy wp.theme.quickrtheme.ear
to a temporary location and modify it. Your new theme should be packaged and deployed as a new EAR file.
- Copy the default theme file quickr_server_root/installableApps/wp.theme.quickrtheme.ear to a temporary location.
- Unpack wp.theme.quickrtheme.ear and wp.theme.quickrtheme.war.
- Modify the appropriate theme and skin files. Skin files are located in the extracted wp.theme.quickrtheme.ear/wp.theme.quickrtheme.war/skins directory. Theme files are located in the extracted wp.theme.quickrtheme.ear/wp.theme.quickrtheme.war/themes directory.
- Modify wp.theme.quickrtheme.ear/META-INF/application.xml to add a unique display name, module ID and context root.
- Rebuild the EAR file. The new EAR file must have a different name than the original wp.theme.quickrtheme.ear file.
- Deploy the new EAR file by copying it back onto the server. For details see Deploying the theme.
- Register the new theme and skin. For details see http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wpdoc/v6r1/topic/com.ibm.wp.ent.doc_v615/dev/dgn_import_theme.html.
The EAR containing your new theme and skin is deployed to wp_profile_root
Do the following to prevent your custom theme from displaying as an option in the theme list when a place manager edits their place properties.
- Click Advanced administration -> Portlet management -> Portlets.
- Search for Place properties.
- Click Configure portlet to configure Place properties.
- Click Edit value to edit the hiddenThemes preference.
- Add the theme's ID to the Value. Each ID must be preceded by a semicolon (;).
- Click Ok at each screen when prompted.
Parent topic: Designing a place: qp85
Creating your place: qp85
Working with place components: qp85
Designing a place: qp85
Editing place properties: qp85